Question about my zpool performance

tongt15

Cadet
Hi there, I have a question about my truenas scale system. My zpool with 6x16t raidz2 system only gets 470mb/s read performance, is this normal?

CPU: Xeon gold 5119T
Memory 128g reg ecc
NIC x710
No HBA
With nvme pool, w/r easily go with 1gb/s with sambas, however my raidz2 pool get 1g write speed but 460mb/s read speed.

Is it normal for the speed? If I install an hba card, is it possible to improve the read performance of the raidz2 pool? Thanks

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi there, I have a question about my truenas scale system. My zpool with 6x16t raidz2 system only gets 470mb/s read performance, is this normal?

CPU: Xeon gold 5119T
Memory 128g reg ecc
NIC x710
No HBA
With nvme pool, w/r easily go with 1gb/s with sambas, however my raidz2 pool get 1g write speed but 460mb/s read speed.

Is it normal for the speed? If I install an hba card, is it possible to improve the read performance of the raidz2 pool? Thanks
Is that Mbit/s or MByte/sec?

Performance varies widely based on how you test it... please describe. Its best to use a performance testing tool like fio.

tongt15

Cadet
Is that Mbit/s or MByte/sec?

Performance varies widely based on how you test it... please describe. Its best to use a performance testing tool like fio.
Hi MorganL, it's Mbytes, i am using smb to test, however, due to I have l2arc, I'm not sure the command of the fio... Cuz the read speed is really fast if i test a 200g file.. l2arc is 2tb.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
6 drives = 4 data drives and 2 parity drives, so only 4 drives contribute to the performance. 120MB/s per drive is pretty good for Read. Some HDDs are better than others.

Writes can be it a bit faster depending on IOsize... they can be aggregated together to make the IOs more sequential.

If you wanted more performance... 3 mirror pairs would probably give you closer to 700MB/s reads.. You get to choose between capacity and performance.

tongt15

Cadet
So, HBA is not help for my case right? Cuz my disk is toshiba 16tb mg08a, the single disk speed can reach 260mb/s, so i am wondering if adding a HBA helps.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
So, HBA is not help for my case right? Cuz my disk is toshiba 16tb mg08a, the single disk speed can reach 260mb/s, so i am wondering if adding a HBA helps.
260 MB/s is downhill with the wind behind it.
ZFS requires some random rather than purely sequential bandwidth.
I doubt the HBA would help much...if at all.