Python script errors after restart - bad marshal data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bert Rolston

Cadet
Hi folks,

I rebooted my FreeNAS 9.2 box this morning and............

I get a whole bunch of Python script errors flashing up on screen.

Some of the scripts that I can identify are
  • loading.py
  • importlib.py
  • models.py
  • hashers.py
  • __init__.py
  • testcases.py
Then I get the following error message ValueError: bad marshal data (string ref out of range)

I've tried booting from the alternative image(?) and using safe mode, but I get the exact same results.

I can ping nz.yahoo.com after logging in to ttyv1 and ping nz.yahoo.com
I can ping the IP number and DNS name on the local network.
I am unable to access the WEB UI using it's IP address or any of the CIFS / SMB shares.

I would prefer not having to rebuild if I can help it, BUT if I can't get a resolution fairly quickly I'll be forced to rebuild.

I've tried searching the forums and googled fo "bad marshal data (string ref out of range)"
One developer site suggested that Python had got corrupted, and deleting all the scripts would force Python to recompile.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

TIA
Bert

Last edited:

Bert Rolston

Cadet
Hi folks,

After a lot of digging around I came up with this solution. Rebuild from scratch and copy the config DB from the old USB drive.
I decided to use an SDHC card and internally mounted card reader instead of the normal USB drive.

I used the process as described by jgraeco in the following post

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/recover-freenas-configuration-from-os-drive.15426/

It doesn't actually fix the problem directly, but was quick and easy. Given this is our business "file server" I couldn't have it out of services for days.

I would be interested if anyone else comes up with a suggestion, but for now the "bad marshal data (string ref out of range)" error doesn't appear to have a better fix.

Cheers,
Bert

Status
Not open for further replies.