problem with zfs filesystem after to v9.110 and send/receive action

Status
Not open for further replies.

airflow

Contributor
Hello,

I am wondering about a problem I have with my system right now. I decided to upgrade from 9.3 to 9.10. When I did this, my config was converted during the first boot with the new software (something like "converting database scheme"). After that, it came up nicely and everything worked nicely, my data was accessible.

Then I wanted to build my jails new for v9.10. First I wanted to backup my jails from an SSD to a harddrive, to have an backup and then to rebuild my jails on the SSD. I did this with this command:

/sbin/zfs send -R "SSD/jails@jail-convert" > /sbin/zfs receive DATA/JAILBAK

The command exited immediately without actually copying the datasets under SSD/jails. There were no files copied to the destination. While I tried to find out what happened and why the command didn't work as expected, I wanted to list my snapshots with the "zfs list" command. The thing is, "zfs list" now gives no output at all. Shouldn't that list my datasets/snapshots? The data is not gone, either - it is still mounted on the "mountpoints" (in my case /mnt/SSD & /mnt/DATA). I can access it. But why is "zfs list" not working? The part in the GUI (Storage/Volumes etc) doesn't work properly, neither.

After research I realize that i probably should have been using the pipe "|" instead of ">" when piping the "send" to the "receive", but what did I do with my zfs file system now? Is it hosed? Can I recover? :smile:

Thanks,
airflow

m0nkey_

MVP
You just overwrote the zfs command. Backup your config, re-install and load your config. Everything will then be back to normal.

airflow

Contributor
Well that's exactly what happened - "Verify Install" confirmed it. Was tired yesterday. Thanks. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.