Problem with share (Permissions, SMB and Windows 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

halloween

Dabbler
Hi,
i have some problems with my FreeNAS-SMB Shares:

On Freenas 9.10.2 U6 i have the follwoing users and groups and datasets:

user "freenas" - member of group "freenas"
user "movie" - member of group "movie"

Dataset /freenas/hdd1 --> owner "root" group "freenas"
Dataset /freenas/movie --> owner "root" group "movie"
(this is a directory under hdd1 ---> /hdd1/movie)

I can read all shares inside Windows 10, but i can´t write with user freenas or user movie. I only have full access when i connect inside windows with the user "root" to my freenas-share.

When i look into access-credentials inside win10, user freenas has NO wirte access, only reading.

On freenas dataset permission there is
--> user x x x
--> group x x x
--> guest x - x

Any ideas why i can´t connect with the user freenas and get write access?

halloween

Dabbler
Hm.... Strange...

I have set unix/linux permissions and you have set windows permissions in freenas. Could this be the error in my setup?

But i use windows and linux clients, so i think it would be ok?

I have owner "root" and you have owner "nobody" for the folder in freenas. Could this be the error?

On my installation, user "freenas" is member of group "freenas" and freenas has permission for writing because of group-setting. So it is the same like in your video?

But it doesn´t work with the user "freenas". Only user "root" can write inside the folder.

m0nkey_

MVP
If you want to use ACLs, then you have to use a Windows type dataset.

halloween

Dabbler
Sorry, i don´t understand this...

If i want to use different users and different folders on freenas, i have to use windows data set because this is ACL???

What is the way i use it now? Is this no ACL?

m0nkey_

MVP
The way you appear to have your dataset configured is a UNIX type dataset.

halloween

Dabbler
Yes, i set "UNIX". And this is the problem with my windows 10 client?

I have not only windows clients. My Sat-Reciever records movies to FreeNAS. This is a Linux-Receiver. And i have some other Linux Computers too.

Will they still be able to write to a windows type dataset?

AndrewH

Dabbler
Make sure that under Volumes, when you select change permissions for the dataset you are sharing, that the group your users are in is set as owner.
If its not, click the set recursive set the right group and click ok. If you don't select recursive, only the main "folder" will have these permissions and anything below it wont. You should do the recursive thing after you have first copied all your files over.

From your first post you have 2 groups, freenas and movies. Is the freenas user also in the movies group? You seem to be having problem getting into movies with the freenas user.

It will give any user in that group the rights you have selected.

Last edited:

halloween

Dabbler
Thanks, i think that does the trick!

I have click "set recursive" and now i can write with the user freenas inside all directories.

Without this, only user root was able to write.

halloween

Dabbler
Sad to say, this does the trick not...

I gave the permissions for \\192.168.xxx.xx\hdd1 to group freenas - all is fine.

After that, my sat receiver couldn´t record to the nas anymore. So i gave permission for \\192.168.xxx.xx\movies to group movies.

My directories are \\hdd1\movies but i made an extra share for the directory movies.

But now i can´t write into this directory with the group freenas anymore. So i added group movies to the user freenas, which is now a member of both groups - freenas and movies.

But still not able to write to directory movies with the user freenas.

Any ideas?

halloween

Dabbler
Strange...

Now i did all again 3 times - reboot all computers, disconnected shares on windows client several times and connected new, now it seems to work.

AndrewH

Dabbler
Strange...

Now i did all again 3 times - reboot all computers, disconnected shares on windows client several times and connected new, now it seems to work.
When you change permissions or groups on a user you need to disconnect and reconnect that user. For example my shares are group based, and when I want to give access to a user to that share, I just add that user to the group.
Under windows you need to log out and on reconnect you will be part on the new group.
The same goes for TVs and other devices that have a connected user.

Glad to hear that after the reboot everything works for you.

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
Hello halloween,
i am just reconfiguring my server and have the same question like you:
I use for the SAME Dataset Linux & Windows machines. Which share-type should i now choose? Windows-share?

Windows-share -> compatibel to Linux?
Linux share -> incompatible to Windows?

So, i can use windows-share and use it for Windows and Linux machine?

Tony Bird

Cadet
I have had a freenas box running for a few years and most recently on version 10, with 1 volume and 3 datasets each individually shared, reading and writing happily from 3 different windows pc's.
I just upgraded to version 11 and something has affected my windows shares so that i get a popup credentials logon in Windows 10 and no matter what username (including root) and password I cannot get to my data. I watched several videos and read several help pages . Windows can see NAS. So I went back to basics and set up a new blank dataset and shared it. Windows security still wants a username and password. I have tried disabling and enabling network credentials. That didn't work. It feels like a windows problem but just checking... what else can I do in Freenas?

Gen8 Runner

Contributor
I have had a freenas box running for a few years and most recently on version 10, with 1 volume and 3 datasets each individually shared, reading and writing happily from 3 different windows pc's.
I just upgraded to version 11 and something has affected my windows shares so that i get a popup credentials logon in Windows 10 and no matter what username (including root) and password I cannot get to my data. I watched several videos and read several help pages . Windows can see NAS. So I went back to basics and set up a new blank dataset and shared it. Windows security still wants a username and password. I have tried disabling and enabling network credentials. That didn't work. It feels like a windows problem but just checking... what else can I do in Freenas?

Hi,
i think my old solution works for me again.

Shares -> SMB -> Select your share -> fill in "Advanced Parameters" (last field in the advanced window, i am using FreeNAS in German, so don`t know the real translation) fill in:
Code:
valid users = @Public

veto files = /*.cshrc/*.login/*.login_conf/*.mail_aliases/*.mailrc/*.profile/*.rhosts/*.shrc/ 

@public replace by your GroupName (valid users = @Family) for example, if you want to share it for several people, who are all in one group
Or by a single user-name (valid users = John / Pauline / Frank) for single user-accounts, that you setup in your user-list in freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.