print server p910nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmhb

Cadet
First - I know this is not the right way to do this.... But I really need a print server function.
It seems a lot of people have asked for a print server..... and would like to do this the right way (using a plugin), if I could get some help?
I've set up the simple print server p910nd using bits and pieces of what was posted here, and it works. Some pieces of it are lost on reboots and need to be redone:
http://forums.nas4free.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=212 (and to give credit to those who did this work originally)
Specifically, these pieces:
1. Download these files: http://forums.nas4free.org/download/file.php?id=622&sid=e800b6aaa87abf436e014d8ce8fb3f8a There are two files - the p910nd binary and devd.conf

2. Set file system RW
#mount -uw /

3. set symbolic link since this binary of p910sd requires libwrap.so.5:
#ln -s libwrap.so.6 libwrap.so.5

4. place the p910nd binary in
/usr/local/sbin

5. set permissions for p910nd
#cd /usr/local/sbin
#chown root:wheel p910nd
#chmod 555 p910nd

6. create devd directory
#mkdir /usr/local/etc/devd

7. set permissions for devd
#cd /usr/local/etc
#chown root:wheel devd
#chmod 755 devd

8. copy devd.conf to /usr/local/etc/devd

9. set permissions for devd.conf
#chown root:wheel devd.conf
#chmod 755 devd.conf

10. restart the device daemon to take in the configuration.
#/etc/rc.d/devd restart
11. To test this, plug in your printer and type in the following command.
#ps aux|grep –I p910nd

You should get two lines. One of them should show the actual binary running from the saved location. When the printer is disconnected, the daemon will stop automatically. You can run the same command above and this time, it should only show one line pertaining to grep.

Right now the devd.conf file seems to disappear after a reboot.

To print to this from a Windows system - following one of the guides on setting up a LPR printer for Windows, don’t choose LPR for the port. Instead choose ‘Standard TCP/IP Port’ and follow the rest of the wizard till it asks you the device type. In which case, one can select the ‘Hewlett Packard Jet Direct’. Once the completion of adding the printer, that’s it. No other configuration is need. Just do a print test and give it moment.

Caesar

Contributor
Have you tried this inside the jail? I am new to freenas/freebsd and i've never setup a printer in unix. but the plugin jail seems like a complete virtual FreeBSD environment. So far I haven't found anything that I could not do inside the jail.

jkmhb

Cadet
Caesar - thank you. I've been looking into what it would take to do the plugin jail. This looks promising, but would need to configure devfs.rules so the jail can access /dev/ulpt0 and /dev/ulpt1 (I have 2 printers).

totalfusion

Cadet
Hi jkmhb - did you get any luck in setting this up inside the jail? I'm new to this environment and am still finding my way around - would be nice to have a print server to share my printer.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
On a side not, if you have a wireless router with a USB port, running DD-WRT, p910nd is plug-and-play. That is how I currently do my printer sharing.

Here's a video I have showing what I did
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9xB144KqgA

totalfusion

Cadet
Unfortunately I don't have a router with USB. I have however managed to resurrect my old LinkStation and am using it as my print server, although I would rather get rid of the extra box and associated overhead.

Thanks for the suggestion though - will keep my eye out on the forum and FreeNAS web pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.