Primary and backup server

Status
Not open for further replies.

borisnet

Dabbler
Following my introduction post, I wanted to explain a bit more about what I am after.

Today, I have the following builds:

1/ Oversized - server - built in March 2013:
Norco RPC4224
Supermicro X9SRL-F
Xeon E5-2665 v1
128GB ECC
3 x M1015 (properly flashed so I have JBOD)
6 x 3 TB 3.5"
9 x 1TB (2.5'' - size matters for the option I have in mind)
3 x 1TB 3.5"
RAIDZ2 built in such a way that I can lose one of my 3 controllers and still feel like nothing happened - 18 TB useable and currently 7.2TB used - I added 1 TB in a year, so I may not need so much space with such redondancy.
4x 1Gb NIC in LACP to my switch
2 x 80 GB SSD for the system as a ZFS mirror - connected to the motherboard

2/ Old stuff - recovered a long time ago:
DL380 G5
Dual Xeon CPU E5x00 series - not super powerful anymore and fairly power hungry
20GB of RAM ECC
8 x 1TB (2.5'') - raidz

This was originally my plan to use as a backup server however:
  • I am a bit short on space and there is no way to add more drives - at least not sure how to do it easily, I have PCI-64 slot available
  • Although it has IPMI, when the server is off it draws something like 30W, very surprised !!!!
  • For an unknown reason, I cannot shutdown this server while running FreeBSD, it will panic and hang.
3/ I have a Cisco UCS Express in a Cisco router. It runs on a Xeon E5 2428L - 1.8GHz with 32GB of RAM, but since this is a blade, there is only 3 x 1TB in there. It has 2 USB2 ports, so I added 2 x USB3 4TB HDD I found on sale long time ago and did an ugly strip zpool but it does not really help me as performance is poor and it does not give me the space I need.

I have 2 x 3TB drives that I kept as spare but that I could use now.

So in total, I have the following:
8 x 3 TB 3.5"
20 x 1 TB 2.5"
3 x 1TB 3.5"
2 x 4TB drives 3.5" in external enclosure that could be removed to be made internal​

Now back to the options I have in mind to achieve:
  • Better power utilization while systems is idle
  • Get a reliable backup server I can fully control from the main server to automate backup
  • Better usage of my existing storage capacity
  • Keep reasonable level of redundancy

Option A:
I stick to the Cisco router + the UCS blade and I add an USB external enclosure for 4 drives to get space.
Pros:​
Easy to add
Cons:​
Need to buy one enclosure, likely to be 4-drive enclosure which could give me a raidz
USB2 only poor performance
Cannot really pretend to be a central primary NAS

Option B:
I find a controller for the DL380 to expand externally but would need to address the shutdown issue

Option C:
I use my Norco case and find a motherboard/CPU/Memory with IPMI to unload my current large build and create a primary server focusing on low power consumption.
Then I could combine storage and gateway functions so I can shutdown my Cisco router.
I looked at the hardware recommendation, but one question is:

Is it correct to think than bigger HDD and less HDD helps for low power consumption?

So in my case, I could focus on getting my 8 x 3 TB + 2 x 4 TB (and expand from that in the future)

For my backup server, I use a spare case+PSU, and need to find a used motherboard/CPU/RAM to accomodate all the 1TB HDD. I was thinking of getting this ICY DOCK but given the number of drives I have, it might be cheaper to go for another Norco...

Finally, I stick my Supermicro + Xeon E5 in a 1RU case to use for heavy compute scenario.

If you are still reading, first, thank you ;-), and then what would you do for a good use of the existing hardware I have while minimizing stuff I have to buy keeping in mind the point is to keep the power utilization of the main server low ?

Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.