BUILD Pre-purchase critique / advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineerpeter

Dabbler
Hello,

Having spent a lot of time here reading and re-reading various posts, then product researching I think I have come up with a build that will suit my needs. I have re-purposed an old box to play and experiment and considering it only has 1GB of RAM, it's held up really well and I'm generally impressed (aprat from the stupid mistake's I've made along the way).

In summary my needs for this build are to replace my WD 1TB my world book, which has served me well for the last 6 or so years , but is now running out of space. This unit will then be used as my primary back-up destination. We have a family HTPC running XBMC and tablets, but with the kids at school, I'm looking at building them a second hand windows (or maybe linux) PC for them to use for school work. I need safe storage of data files for my work and the QA process I have to go through. She just wants to mass of photos we have to be safe! So five users (four on password and one free for all) using CIFS.

I plan to have a 4x1TB Z2 array for document / photo storage (i.e. don't really want to loose thisdata) and a second 1x3TB for media storage (hey it's a pain to loose it, but I've got all the discs in boxed storage that would take an age to replace). Then re-purpose some old HDD's for torrent download and music streaming with firefly.
My proposed hardware;
I have struggled with the ECC memory part of the build. the RAM was the easy bit, but I struggled to find out if the mother board was compatable, and I'm still not sure that it is OK.

Hence If anyone can see anything obvious errors that I have made, I would appreciate the critisim before I comit hard earned cash.

Thanks for reading this!

EP

Engineerpeter

Dabbler

beemaster

Dabbler
Looks like you have 5 HDDs in total. MBD-X9SCM-F-O supports 6 drives. Do you plan to have more?
SATA card you chose looks like cheap piece of crap and most probably wont work with FreeNAS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That SATA card looks cringe-inducingly bad.

What do you plan to do with 4 1TB drives and 1 3TB drive?

Also, for the price of that PSU, you could get a better Seasonic G-450.

Engineerpeter

Dabbler
thanks for the advice; the inital motherboard had 8 sata parts and my plan is based around that, are there any suggestions for a decent SATA pci card?
plan as said above is for the 4x1TB to hold main family work type data and the 1x3TB to hold all our movies and TV shows

diedrichg

Wizard
X10SLM-F-O is nearly the same price with
2 x SATA 3.0Gb/s + 4 x SATA 6.0Gb/s
vs
4 x SATA 3.0Gb/s + 2 x SATA 6.0Gb/s
with the X9 model. Remember, the X9 is LGA1155 and the X10 is LGA1150 so you will need the G3420 which is fine since it's £40 less than the G3220! The 4 native SATA 3 ports is nice especially with the price difference for the newer part!

Status
Not open for further replies.