Votes: 5 25.0%
  • About average.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sfbayzfs

Dabbler
Hi, I just joined the forum to reply to this.

Actually, the power savings can easily pay for itself quickly, especially if you buy a used platinum psu on ebay for 60-100 and you live somewhere with extortion level electric rates and your nas bumps you up to a higher priced tier.

Also, generally, unless you have a really old psu wiring harness, you can use the same hot swap psus in any supermicro sc8?? chassis and some others. The 2u, 3u, and 4u all use the same supplies.

I have been running a custom x9scm build and switched to a supermicro chassis about 6 months ago after extensive testing of performance and power draw. My custom build had 20 4tb drives running in an antec 1200 with a platinum 550w psu and was super quiet with about 160w idle draw (all drives spinning) but the supermicro chassis is very nicely modular and is rackmount able, although it is not as quiet.

I am now using a sc847 case with 36 4tb hitachi low power drives, a 1265L v2 and am getting 270-360w ac draw (idle to fully loaded) although I had it as low as 240w idle with fewer fans in initial prototyping.

Key ways to cut power draw (and noise) on supermicro chassis without major surgery are:

1 - Run only 1 psu unless you need the redundancy - remove the second supply slightly to avoid the warning BEEP if you just unplugh the power from it. Likewise, run only 1 chassis so you have fewer active psus at once unless you need to disconnect your jbod regularly. Momentary peak draw on my system is under 640w for just a moment during bootup with all fans on full and all drives spinning up, well within the capability of a single 800w supply.

2 - Get platinum or better rated supplies - ac draw of the pws-920p-1r draws about 12W per supply with the system off. An older generation non-80plus 900w supply draws closer to ~30W with the system off, and a gold rated 1400w supply was about 25W with the system off. I will retest for more accurate numbers and update. The extra draw is always there even at load in my tests. Bonus, the platinum supplies are quieter than the others, but don't spend the extra money on a sq "super quiet" unless you need a little less noise from the psu fan, their efficiency is the same as the 1r models, and they are a lot more expensive, even used.

3 - Connect the fans to the motherboard instead of the backplane if they are not already wired that way. The motherboard will slow them down when not needed, which is quieter and draws less power. Typical supermicro fans are 5-15 watts each at full speed, and even 3 fans running slower can save you 20-30W easily. Plus you can disconnect unneeded fans, if you environment is not hot, you may easily be able to get away with fewer fans, especially in larger chassis' just don't cut airflow over your lsi controller.

Disclaimer - I have been running zfsonlinux for years, but currently I am getting everyone I know to set up a freenas system for personal backups, and will probably set one up myself soon for tech support questions from them. Power and noise should not be significantly different between freenas and zol though.

Hugo Ochoa

Dabbler
Hi, I just joined the forum to reply to this.

Actually, the power savings can easily pay for itself quickly, especially if you buy a used platinum psu on ebay for 60-100 and you live somewhere with extortion level electric rates and your nas bumps you up to a higher priced tier.

Also, generally, unless you have a really old psu wiring harness, you can use the same hot swap psus in any supermicro sc8?? chassis and some others. The 2u, 3u, and 4u all use the same supplies.

I have been running a custom x9scm build and switched to a supermicro chassis about 6 months ago after extensive testing of performance and power draw. My custom build had 20 4tb drives running in an antec 1200 with a platinum 550w psu and was super quiet with about 160w idle draw (all drives spinning) but the supermicro chassis is very nicely modular and is rackmount able, although it is not as quiet.

I am now using a sc847 case with 36 4tb hitachi low power drives, a 1265L v2 and am getting 270-360w ac draw (idle to fully loaded) although I had it as low as 240w idle with fewer fans in initial prototyping.

Key ways to cut power draw (and noise) on supermicro chassis without major surgery are:

1 - Run only 1 psu unless you need the redundancy - remove the second supply slightly to avoid the warning BEEP if you just unplugh the power from it. Likewise, run only 1 chassis so you have fewer active psus at once unless you need to disconnect your jbod regularly. Momentary peak draw on my system is under 640w for just a moment during bootup with all fans on full and all drives spinning up, well within the capability of a single 800w supply.

2 - Get platinum or better rated supplies - ac draw of the pws-920p-1r draws about 12W per supply with the system off. An older generation non-80plus 900w supply draws closer to ~30W with the system off, and a gold rated 1400w supply was about 25W with the system off. I will retest for more accurate numbers and update. The extra draw is always there even at load in my tests. Bonus, the platinum supplies are quieter than the others, but don't spend the extra money on a sq "super quiet" unless you need a little less noise from the psu fan, their efficiency is the same as the 1r models, and they are a lot more expensive, even used.

3 - Connect the fans to the motherboard instead of the backplane if they are not already wired that way. The motherboard will slow them down when not needed, which is quieter and draws less power. Typical supermicro fans are 5-15 watts each at full speed, and even 3 fans running slower can save you 20-30W easily. Plus you can disconnect unneeded fans, if you environment is not hot, you may easily be able to get away with fewer fans, especially in larger chassis' just don't cut airflow over your lsi controller.

Disclaimer - I have been running zfsonlinux for years, but currently I am getting everyone I know to set up a freenas system for personal backups, and will probably set one up myself soon for tech support questions from them. Power and noise should not be significantly different between freenas and zol though.
That's excellent feedback sfbayzfs! In all honesty, my only real interest at this point is to upgrade the power supplies. I like redundancy because the nature of FreeNas and value my data quite a bit obviously. My 826TQ-R800LPB has the stock PWS-801-1R. So I'm going to start searching for a more efficient set. My primary box has the fans connected to the motherboard. My second box that runs as a JBOD (same model chassis) has the fans connected to the backplane because I thought it would have better control over the temperature of the drives and because the cse ptjbod cb2 only has 2 fan headers and I wanted to make sure all the fans are running. I'm not sure if there's a big difference but I suspect it is significant to go from the 7200 rpm hitachi to the WD reds but I'm planning on gradually upgrading to the 4tb red versions. I'll try running this JBOD box with only 2 fans connected to the cse board and see if the temps on the drives stay under 35 C. Currently they run at 32 C. All my drives run under 35C under load inside a XRackPro 6u enclosure that I modified to run 2 Panaflo MNB-MAT 120mmx38mm PWM mod fans in the exhaust and 3 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM in the intake. All 5 fans run of one of the fan headers on the motherboard and they are not silent but also not very loud. The system is clean thanks to a magnetic filter on the intake fans. Before this mod, my WD red drives were hitting 40C under load (I live in Florida and keep the house at 78F all the time.).

Thanks again for your post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfbayzfs

Dabbler
Quick reply with base power draw of all supermicro psus I have on hand plugged into the wall but not in a chassis, rounded up to the next whole watt measured on a kill-a-watt meter:
Pws-902-1r 31W
Pws-921p-1r 14W platinum
Pws-721p-1r 13W gold
Pws-1k21p-1r 20W gold
Pws-1k41p-1r 15W gold
The pws-920p-sq is in use so I cannot retest it right now, but it should be the same as the pws-920p-1r. The pws-902-1r is very loud even idle, the rest run their fans very slowly idle.

Your rack sounds nice - my drive temps are around 38c but I think they are fine.

For drive power draw, it may be a wash or slight improvement depending on how many platters are in your 1tb drives.

You could easily use just 1 4u 24 bay sc846 chassis to hold all of your drives, and run half as many psus for some power savings in addition to any psu upgrades. Just be sure to check to ensure it has or can be configured with the sas2 expander backplane and pws-920p-1r. There are threads in the servethehome forums in the great deals section.

Last edited:

Hugo Ochoa

Dabbler
Quick reply with base power draw of all supermicro psus I have on hand plugged into the wall but not in a chassis, rounded up to the next whole watt measured on a kill-a-watt meter:
Pws-902-1r 31W
Pws-921p-1r 14W platinum
Pws-721p-1r 13W gold
Pws-1k21p-1r 20W gold
Pws-1k41p-1r 15W gold
The pws-920p-sq is in use so I cannot retest it right now, but it should be the same as the pws-920p-1r. The pws-902-1r is very loud even idle, the rest run their fans very slowly idle.

Your rack sounds nice - my drive temps are around 38c but I think they are fine.

For drive power draw, it may be a wash or slight improvement depending on how many platters are in your 1tb drives.

You could easily use just 1 4u 24 bay sc846 chassis to hold all of your drives, and run half as many psus for some power savings in addition to any psu upgrades. Just be sure to check to ensure it has or can be configured with the sas2 expander backplane and pws-920p-1r. There are threads in the servethehome forums in the great deals section.
Thanks for that! I'm not sure if they would work in my chassis though. I've been looking on the manual for my chassis and don't see any optional PSUs but I'll search for the manual for the 921p-1r to see if it's compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfbayzfs

Dabbler
The pws-921p-1r probably will work unless you have a very old chassis revision. Power supply compatibility depends on the wiring harness the psus plug into.

sfbayzfs

Dabbler
Update, I re-tested the power supplies in an actual chassis with a board and a couple of drives, here are the new results:
Power supply - AC Draw powered off / AC draw in BIOS after it settles down
Pws-902-1r - 25.2-26.2W / 135-136W (the PSU fan is always on either high or medium, but it probably accounts for 10-15W of the power draw, not just non-80plus inefficiency)
Pws-920p-1r - 8.6-9.0W / 112-113W
Pws-721p-1r - 8.4-9.1W / 108-110W
Pws-1k21p-1r - 10.4-11.2W / 118-119W
Pws-1k41p-1r - this has a wider connector and wouldn't plug into the power backplane on the chassis I was testing with.

So the gold Pws-721p-1r beats the platinum Pws-920p-1r for low end draw, probably because it's optimum efficiency point is at a lower wattage than the pws-920p-1r - the others are in line with my expectations.

I believe the fans run faster when not plugged into a chassis, hence the higher base numbers from before.

I think your configuration is getting little bit higher power usage. Mine is the same cpu,mb,ram with 16 HDD dual platinum power supplies and mine is $170 on iddle. I think this is pretty much the best I can do on a power consumption side with 16 drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.