Poor transferspeed - smb & afp

Status
Not open for further replies.

parazit

Dabbler
Hi guys,

i have a HP N54L(12GB RAM) and i am about to setup FreeNAS. Yesterday i have made a speedtest over smb and afp to see the difference since i am using Mac OS 10.9. The result was 11.2 mbit/s (read & write) on both smb and afp.

The N54L and Mac are conneted to a gigabit switch and the switch is connected to a fritzbox.

I don’t think it’s the switch, because i had a network storage hooked up before and i got around 60mbit/s.

Does anyone has any suggestions how to increase the speed?

I am running the lastest FreeNAS version and all options are set to default.

Thank you!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep.. 10-12MB/sec is a tell-tale sign you have a 100Mb link somewhere in your LAN. Go check your connections. ;)

parazit

Dabbler
Thanks. I just don't see where the 100mb link can be. Mac-Mini 1 gigabit ethernet, N54l 1 gigabit ethernet, Gigabit switch, fritzbox is 100mb but thats why i have the gigabit switch. Is it possible that the ethernet port of my N54L need to be activated?

gpsguy

I doubt it't the N54L. You might try swapping out cables. Or connecting the Mac mini directly to the server as a test.

Sent from my phone

Nick2253

Wizard
You might also want to check your ethernet cable. I recently moved, and, through the process of tearing my hair out, I discovered that a bunch of the ethernet cables in my box-o-cables had semi-broken pins, or whatnot, causing them to only negotiate at 100 Mbps. My cable tester (which is cheap, mind you) couldn't find a problem with the cables, but I was able to test the cables with multiple Windows machines and see the problem: bad cable between computer and switch = 100Mbps, good cable between computer and switch = 1Gbps.

parazit

Dabbler
Thank you very much guys! I got some new cables and the problem is gone now! 110mbs that looks good now :)

i got another question. At the moment i have a WD red 3TB. That's more than enough for me and i would like to get another hdd in case if one dies so my data will be safe. What would you guys suggest me ZFS or UFS? Can i just add a new hdd and create a mirror?

gpsguy

Assuming you have at least 8Gb RAM, go with ZFS mirror.

Since you are doing this after setting up the first one, you'll need to do this from the command line. Search the forum for the correct commands and syntax to use. Don't follow random instructions found on another website.

One of the reasons to use ZFS is that UFS on FreeNAS will be deprecated on the future.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.