SOLVED plex server media folder not showing up

silentbirdie

Dabbler
Hello, I just built my nas server the specs are as follows:
2xWD Red 2TB NAS Internal Hard Drive as my main pool
Crucial P2 250GB 3D boot drive
Gigabyte B450 AORUS Elite V2 mobo
and an amd r5 1600
I finished installing plex and I'm having a problem where even after having mounted my media source /mnt/Pool_1/my_smb_share/Plex_Media to destination /mnt/Pool_1/iocage/jails/The_Plexatron/root/media the media folder isn't showing up on plex it's is showing up like a file and is greyed
1647651659055.png

How would I go about fixing this? could it be and problem related to the acl since the plex media source is in an smb share?

/mnt/Pool_1/iocage/jails/The_Plexatron/root/media
Try specifying one more folder deep. You can manually type it in at the Mount Points configuration screen.

Something like,
/mnt/Pool_1/iocage/jails/The_Plexatron/root/media/plexmedia

---

UPDATE: Almost forgot. What permissions does the actual path have?

Does the user/group 972 (which is the default plex UID/GID) have at least read permissions for this path? It must be an actual user/group in your TrueNAS system, not only the jail:

/mnt/Pool_1/my_smb_share/Plex_Media

silentbirdie

Dabbler
Try specifying one more folder deep. You can manually type it in at the Mount Points configuration screen.

Something like,
/mnt/Pool_1/iocage/jails/The_Plexatron/root/media/plexmedia

---

UPDATE: Almost forgot. What permissions does the actual path have?

Does the user/group 972 (which is the default plex UID/GID) have at least read permissions for this path? It must be an actual user/group in your TrueNAS system, not only the jail:

/mnt/Pool_1/my_smb_share/Plex_Media
Well in the shell for the /media file all of my media files do show up i can see all my 66gb of music files perfectly and they are properly sorted I spent all afternoon doing it I will however I do not seem to have a plex group so I should create one in true nas and give it read file permissions to the mountpoint?

I do not seem to have a plex group so I should create one in true nas and give it read file permissions to the mountpoint?
Yes.

In TrueNAS proper, you need a UID/GID (user/group) that matches the one automatically created in the Plex jail. When the plexmediaserver daemon runs in the background (inside your jail), the process is owned by the user ID 972 (which is the user "plex").

In order to access the folder (and the subfolders and files within), your real media folder in TrueNAS ("Plex_Media") needs to allow the UID 972 and/or GID 972 permission. This can be applied in the GUI for the dataset's permissions, or in the CLI. You can use either the traditional Unix permissions method or the more nuanced ACL method. (You should apply it "recursively" so that it applies to all your subfolders and files.)

In order for the above to work and make sense, you should also create this "plex" user/group (972/972) under Accounts -> Users, something like so:
plex-972-user-and-group.png

Doing this should automatically create a group named "plex" with the GID 972. If not, then you need to make one manually under Accounts -> Groups, and set the user's Primary Group to it.

silentbirdie

Dabbler
Yes.

In TrueNAS proper, you need a UID/GID (user/group) that matches the one automatically created in the Plex jail. When the plexmediaserver daemon runs in the background (inside your jail), the process is owned by the user ID 972 (which is the user "plex").

In order to access the folder (and the subfolders and files within), your real media folder in TrueNAS ("Plex_Media") needs to allow the UID 972 and/or GID 972 permission. This can be applied in the GUI for the dataset's permissions, or in the CLI. You can use either the traditional Unix permissions method or the more nuanced ACL method. (You should apply it "recursively" so that it applies to all your subfolders and files.)

In order for the above to work and make sense, you should also create this "plex" user/group (972/972) under Accounts -> Users, something like so:
View attachment 54213

Doing this should automatically create a group named "plex" with the GID 972. If not, then you need to make one manually under Accounts -> Groups, and set the user's Primary Group to it.
Thank you very much for the help. I'm currently away for the weekend so when i have access to the server I will create the plex user and group and I will report back if it worked.

silentbirdie

Dabbler
Yes.

View attachment 54213

I have gotten access to the server and it is now working thanks again for the help!

silentbirdie

Dabbler
Sorry for the OOT, but I'm trying to build my TrueNAS server around a similar hardware and I've been told that it won't work properly with a non-ECC system and particularly using those WD Red HDDs (-EFAX).

What's your experience so far? Thanks!
fine and truenas recommends those drives in their documentation and it works on non ecc hardware they just don't recommend it. I also switched to scale as I have more experience with linux.

Redcoat

MVP
fine and truenas recommends those drives in their documentation and it works on non ecc hardware they just don't recommend it. I also switched to scale as I have more experience with linux.
Well, afraid that drive comment is not correct - please see https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/list-of-known-smr-drives.141/ for a discussion of the topic.
With respect to ECC memory, that is your choice based on criticality of your data. Search the topic here - it’s been discussed many times. “Lots” of users are happily running without it.

silentbirdie

Dabbler
Well, afraid that drive comment is not correct - please see https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/list-of-known-smr-drives.141/ for a discussion of the topic.
With respect to ECC memory, that is your choice based on criticality of your data. Search the topic here - it’s been discussed many times. “Lots” of users are happily running without it.
Read the documentation of the actual operating system before commenting because the drive is smr and ix systems machines ship with wdred drives.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-23-08-08-21-54_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-06-23-08-08-21-54_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 549

Redcoat

MVP
Well, No - they ship with WD RED PLUS drives which are CMR.

I tried following your directions. TrueNAS Core will not let me create a group with the GID of 972. It insists on filling in it's own value of 1000, even thought I first created the user with the UID of 972. When I launch Plex using the URL given after installing the Plex plug in, the plex screen asks me to log in, gives me options to pay more, then just goes to a gray spinning wheel and stays there forever. If I exit that and return, my folders don't show up as described above. What am I missing? I've tried 2 different videos on how to do this as well. I've done this at least 7 times now.

MblaZe7

Cadet
Yes.

View attachment 54213

I tried to do this for my plex media server however it is still showing up greyed out.

I have the "plex" group id set to 972 same with the plex user account.

This is how my Jail properties appear for the plex plugin as well.
Plex Jail server settings.png

i've been scouring the web to try to figure out the issue (i still get greyed out 'Media' Folder on the plex website itself)

Frustratingly it took 5 hours to get the plex media plugin installed on the TrueNas server in the first place.... and i currently run a Plex server off of my home pc, which has no issues and setup for that was 5 minutes D:

fredbourdelier

Dabbler
Yes.

View attachment 54213

This worked for me as well. I was having a condition where either my share had no permission, or my Plex had no permission. Adding this user/group solved it, now I can see it both ways (I had to disable the memory check for Kubernetes as per this thread: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-to-service-s-smb-share-snapshot-task.101763/). I understand I need to do a system security check after I'm done with all the setup, to make sure I didn't create any unintended holes...But "working" is a huge step forward.

Thanks for posting with a picture for us newbies!

TrisC0

Cadet
Hey Everyone,

I am facing the same issue where Plex can not see anything outside of it's jail. Following the solution above, here is what I have so far.

The plex user was created with UID 972
1696192581873.png

It is a member of the Plex group (also with UID 972)
1696192574822.png

1696192585583.png

1696192745261.png

I can not see "Pool_A" within /mnt/ when adding a directory in plex.

1696193146187.png

Here's the mount point.
1696192643181.png

I created the directory via SSH so I wonder if if could be the mount point path or the properties of the directory itself...

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• 1696192636096.png
    1696192636096.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 1696192593817.png
    1696192593817.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 129
UPDATE: Read this first. It's more important.
I created the directory via SSH so I wonder if if could be the mount point path or the properties of the directory itself...
This is bad practice. It means you're (attempting) to save files directly into the pool's root dataset. You should instead create child datasets below the root dataset, and those are the datasets you save your files to. (I would correct this first.)

This is only relevant once you correct the above, first.
I can not see "Pool_A" within /mnt/ when adding a directory in plex.

Try something like this, when configuring the mountpoint(s):

Source: /mnt/Pool_A/Movies
Destination: /mnt/Movies

The reason it appears "empty" is because you're looking at the root folder of where the path begins (i.e, after /mnt/Pool_A/Movies/), so from the jail's perspective, its own /mnt is going to be an empty directory.

Last edited:

TrisC0

Cadet
Thanks @winnielinnie, that worked! I can now see the mount points from the Plex jail!

1696268881044.png

I really appreciate your advice about creating the dir as a child dataset, and for explaining why the original mount point didn't work, it all makes sense now!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!