Plex App Poor Quality Video

stever230

Cadet
New to TrueNAS Scale from OMV, be gentle!
The quality of movie streaming to AppleTV clients from TrueNAS Scale App (container) deployment of Plex is bad. The app has been deployed using default config from the TrueNAS UI, streaming movies of various bitrate and resolution are pixelated.

I think I've eliminated HW, by testing different deployments of Plex on the same HW config;
  • Plex deployed in host OS on a 'Live' Ubuntu disto - Quality great, CPU is working hard on 4K streams
  • Plex deployed in host OS on a new OMV install - again quality great
  • Plex deployed in a Docker container on a new OMV install - again great quality
  • Plex deployed in host OS on new TrueNAS install (enabling apt & dpkg) - no problems, great quality
  • Plex deployed with default Containerd config from TrueNAS APP UI - pants quality
  • Jellyfin deployed with default Containerd config from TrueNAS APP UI - also pants quality
HW setup;
Dell R230 E3-1230 v6
16GB ECC memory
PERC H330 Flashed to HBA330 in IT Mode (that was a pain in the rear)
3x Segate IronWolf drives in ZFS RAIDZ1
Latest firmware everywhere
I've also tinkered with bios power management but still no joy.

AFAIK the default config for Containerd is that all host resources are shared with the container unless Limits are set, which they are not. Container logs show nothing exciting nor does a top from within the container.

I've considered giving the server a GPU boost but the Dell R230 is particularly picky about GPUs and there are not many options for a half height x8 PCIe that support Plex HW acceleration.

Can anyone suggest possible causes / suggestions?