Please confirm these installation steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenjuna

Dabbler
I have a Freenas 11-RC3 install running and everything works fine. However, I recently stepped in 2 new 16gb USB sticks as one was dead and the other was showing signs of problems. I successfully updated the old 8gb sticks to 16gb, but the volume did not automatically grow to 16gb after it was done. I assume that boot volumes cannot grow like the regular zfs pools can when you upgrade those drives, so I am going to do a fresh install of 11 once it is out of RC.

What I need validation on is that I just need to save the config, format the sticks, then do a fresh install. After the install, I can upload the config, and I should be right back to where I am now, except with a 16gb boot volume.

I don't want to lose this system as it took me 3 years to get it to this point, so I am being overly cautious with this post.

Thanks

Cain

Redcoat

MVP
I have a Freenas 11-RC3 install running and everything works fine. However, I recently stepped in 2 new 16gb USB sticks as one was dead and the other was showing signs of problems. I successfully updated the old 8gb sticks to 16gb, but the volume did not automatically grow to 16gb after it was done. I assume that boot volumes cannot grow like the regular zfs pools can when you upgrade those drives, so I am going to do a fresh install of 11 once it is out of RC.

What I need validation on is that I just need to save the config, format the sticks, then do a fresh install. After the install, I can upload the config, and I should be right back to where I am now, except with a 16gb boot volume.

I don't want to lose this system as it took me 3 years to get it to this point, so I am being overly cautious with this post.

Thanks

Cain
Yes, except you will lose passwords - that for the outgoing email server is the one that sticks in my mind. The Root password isn't reset.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, except you will lose passwords - that for the outgoing email server is the one that sticks in my mind. The Root password isn't reset.
Not necessarily, anymore. There's an option to export the seed used to encrypt the passwords in the config file.

Redcoat

MVP
Not necessarily, anymore. There's an option to export the seed used to encrypt the passwords in the config file.
Ahh... so that's what that does. Thanks for the explanation.

tenjuna

Dabbler
Thank you for the validation.

Status
Not open for further replies.