Physically moving NAS chassis running TrueNAS SCALE

engineerdj

Dabbler
What's up TrueNASers?

We have a 60 disk Supermicro running TrueNAS SCALE we're moving to a new physical location. Has anyone had any experience migrating TrueNAS to a new physical location, removing the hard drives and reinserting them in the same hardware?

Any considerations? We would number the drives and reinsert in the same slots, but is there any other procedure or requirement for this? Would a port reimport be necessary?

I would think it should be transparent to TrueNAS if you powered down, removed the drives, reinserted, and brought back up.

Thanks.

Davvo

MVP
You don't need anything, but a config backup would be nice.
If you want to play overly safe backup the config, export the pool, move, import the pool, import the config.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I would think it should be transparent to TrueNAS if you powered down, removed the drives, reinserted, and brought back up.
I'd agree; the only potential issue I'd see is the network--but as long as you're on the same network I don't see how it would be a problem.

engineerdj

Dabbler
You don't need anything, but a config backup would be nice.
If you want to play overly safe backup the config, export the pool, move, import the pool, import the config.

Thanks. The pool is staying on the same hardware, but we're removing the drives for data safety and weight considerations -- 280lbs fully loaded.

engineerdj

Dabbler
I'd agree; the only potential issue I'd see is the network--but as long as you're on the same network I don't see how it would be a problem.

Thanks. We are re-addressing the network at the new location, but we set everything on DHCP before moving.

No concerns there, just already extra precautious when it comes to data safety and storage arrays.