SOLVED Permissions error on AD/CIFS shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Cunningham

Dabbler
I followed this guide to set up my FreeNAS for use with an Active Directory network but I'm running into problems when trying to access any folders from a Windows machine. I get a permissions error regardless of the account that I use to connect to the share.

It seems like the server is connecting to AD correctly as when I click Storage/Volumes/Change Permissions on the active volume, I can see the proper DOMAIN\account_name options in the drop-down list for both Owner (user) and Owner (group). I set the Owner (user) to the same user that I entered in the Directory Service/Active Directory options and everything seems to save correctly. When I then search for \\freenas in Windows Explorer on another machine I can see the shared folder as I would expect -- but clicking on it pops up a username/password dialog box and nothing I enter there (including domain- and schema-admin accounts) allows me to connect.

Here's my hardware, for reference:

Supermicro 826E16-R500LPB 16 bay chassis
Supermicro MDB-X9SRH-7F-O motherboard
Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.7ghz processor
32GB (2x16GB) DDR3 ECC RAM
6x Western Digital 3TB Red drives
FreeNAS 9.3 Stable installed on a SanDisk 8GB USB drive
RAIDZ2 configuration for 12TB accessible storage

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure this out!

Sean Cunningham

Dabbler
Disregard, found out the problem was in the Dataset File/Folder Permissions area where it suggested using:
  • Owner (user): EXAMPLE-DOMAIN\administrator
  • Owner (group): EXAMPLE-DOMAIN\domain users
Ultimately I needed to set Owner (user) to a separate domain administrator account as "administrator" somehow set the permissions to FREENAS\administrator (a non-domain account.)

Status
Not open for further replies.