PCI Passthrough Issues with XenServer and LSI 9211-8i

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyrutz

Cadet
Having an issue where I can't seem to get XenServer to pass the storage controller to my FreeNAS 11.1 VM. I followed this guide to a tee but after booting into FreeNAS it doesn't list it with lspci and running xl pci-assignable-list from the XenServer console shows the id of my controller as being assignable. I've also verified that the parameter was added to the VM with xe vm-param-get uuid=<vm uuid> param-name=other-config and it is indeed setup. Anyone have a clue as to why it wouldn't show up in FreeNAS?

System Details:
XenServer 7.4
ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16
2x Xeon E5-2650 V2
32GB ECC DDR3
LSI 9211-8i (flashed to newest P20 IT firmware)
8x Seagate Cheetah 600GB 15K (will be used for FreeNAS)
2x 1TB SATA (used for VM disk storage)
Samsung Pro 120GB SSD (boot drive)

toadman

Guru
I'm not familiar with Xen (vmware guy here), so I can't speculate on a reason. Maybe try asking in the Xen forum? Sounds like it's an issue with Xen or the config. I've had no issues passing through that exact card to FreeNAS on esxi, so seems unlikely it's a FN problem.

zyrutz

Cadet
I'll ask over there as well. I posted here in case it was an issue with the version of FreeNAS

zyrutz

Cadet
Turned out to be a BIOS misconfiguration. When I put the server together I checked the CPU configuration to ensure virtualization was enabled but the VT-d setting was under North Bridge so I had missed it. It was disabled by default, unlike VT-x, and after enabling it the device was able to successfully pass through.

Status
Not open for further replies.