panic when trying to install transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnets

Cadet
Hi,
i had a fault with a previous version of freenas, so i got a new usb stick and moved to 8.0.2
so far so good.
I had a little hicup that i think i traced to a thermal issue, but now i'm not so sure
http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?3312-segmentation-fault-and-or-bad-marshall-data

i was, at the time, streaming music to a windows client, on that same windows client i had telneted in and was doing this
Code:
Welcome to FreeNAS
[root@MEDIAFILER] ~# mount -uw /
[root@MEDIAFILER] ~# pkg_add -r transmission-daemon
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/Lates                         t/transmission-daemon.tbz... Done.
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.2-release/All/t                         ransmission-web-2.13.tbz... Done.

the moment the 'done' popped up the music crashed and the freenas console (not the putty session) states:
Code:
 mode = 040401, inum = 13088, fs = /
panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 23h40m1s

then after a little while putty timed out.

any ideas what is going on?
this seems to be a common error in bsd, but it's beyond me

oOOOO: and now that i've rebooted, everything seems ok, but i can only access the freenas with ip and not host name.
which was the error i had before that i thought was a thermal issue.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Magnets,

I've warned about this in the FAQ. When you start adding packages to the flash drive, you're using space that the system needs for log files, reports, and other stuff. It can do all kinds of unpredictable things, hang, crash, etc etc. There is a special build of FreeNAS available which includes transmission, and miniDLNA if you compile it with the proper options. It's a semi-Official build and a lot less likely to cause problems. If you haven't seen it, do a search, there's thread about it here somewhere.

Magnets

Cadet
thanks for the info

I was kinda hoping that wasn't the reason, but since it's done it twice now, with two different thumbdrives, i shall have to agree with you.

Off to find a guide for noobs and windows users... :0)

Status
Not open for further replies.