SOLVED Package Management in Jail

gotnull

Cadet
Hi all,

A fresh TrueNas user here, I would like to play a bit with jails and I am glad that TrueNas provides a nice way to do it.
It's probably a stupid question though what is the recommended way to manage packages in jail: ports or pkg ? and does it matter ? Deeply I think it doesn't matter but I really feel the need to ask it anyway just to be sure.
I also use FreeBSD 13 since few months now but I don't use ports at all to install package only pkg and honestly if I can continue that way it would be nice .

Thanks.

gotnull

Cadet
Never mind it was a stupid question and I think I can answer it myself it doesn't matter how packages are installed the important thing is to stick to the chosen method and don't mix them.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
the important thing is to stick to the chosen method and don't mix them.
You can mix and match if required.

pkg is easiest, but can't be custom compiled, so works well if you don't need settings that are baked-in to be changed (saves you the compute time to compile)

ports are good for working with versions of software no longer/not yet available or not working in pkgs or as mentioned, where you need to compile with different settings.

gotnull

Cadet
Thank you for the explanation, it's nice to know that it is possible, but I think for my own good will I'm going to take the easiest solution for now.
I am not skilled enough to deal with strange dependencies, if there is an old version of a package that I want to install I'll come back to ask how to deal with it, hopefully it won't happen, at least not now : -)

Thank you.