OwnCloud and files larger than 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

norskman

Contributor
Looks like I need to update PHP to V5.5

Can someone tell me how to do this please.

I know this will be lost once there is new update of FreeNAS. until then......

N00b

Explorer
Norskman,
How big is the file that you are trying to upload. I have tried a few things to get ownCloud to upload files larger than 2 gb but my mileage has varied. I have managed to upload a ~ 11gb file on to an ownCloud instance running on a i3-16gb (see signature) machine but I have not been able to repeat the process with other instances of ownCloud installed on the same machine. I am not sure why. The max I have been able to upload is 4GB and then the upload process stops. In fact you can see the file getting uploaded to the temp directory and then stop at exactly 4GB. I am still trying to figure out why? If you have not changed your setting from the time you installed the plug-in I share my script with you.

To confuse me further I have also managed to upload a 11GB file onto my PCBSD test box having only 5GB of memory! As far as I can tell the config is exactly the same on all instances but I am getting different results.

On another note , we really need to figure out why we are trying to upload such a large file using a web-browser instead of rsync , scp or ftp!! My story is that I am only doing to understand the process and I am sticking to it ;)

norskman

Contributor
My experience is yes - you can use other methods to upload large files. But for remote users, they cannot. The remote users are not too smart when it comes to IT so FTP is out. They are uploading files to share.

OwnCLoud will be at V6.00 soon and if PHP is updated this may fix it.

I don't think its anything to do with the hardware in the machine either.

N00b

Explorer
I don't think its anything to do with the hardware in the machine either.
There are ports on the ownCloud forum that suggest that it is dependent on server memory. Sounds plausible but my experience has been different so I mentioned that. For PHP upgrade you should be able to Google a post that describes how to do it. If I remember correctly it said make deinstall <currentversion> and make install <php55>. You may have to build proper extensions as well. Maybe you can try using packages first ( pkg install). Back up you jail before / install before you start. ;)

norskman

Contributor
I prefer if we all move to bug fixed software. So I am highlighting the problem here. Then hopefully someone who knows how will do it. I hope we can move to V6 and get all this behind us

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I just setup Owncloud myself a week ago, and I can tell you that it certainly will let you do 10GB files. I tested it and a 10GB file went from my desktop to my FN box, then to my laptop. It took a little while, but it did work. But the desktop and laptop MD5s matched.

N00b

Explorer
CJ,
Did you use the plugin? What settings have you used? I guess you would have had to change the settings to make changes. I am using the following settings in the .htaccess file:
Code:
> php_value upload_max_filesize 12G
php_value post_max_size 12G
php_value memory_limit 1024M
php_value output_buffering 12288

And the following in the php.ini file:
Code:
output_buffering = 12288
max_execution_time = 300
max_input_time = 300
memory_limit = 1024M
post_max_size = 12G
upload_tmp_dir = "/media/tmpup"
upload_max_filesize = 12G
default_socket_timeout = 300

I can see files getting uploaded to /media/tmpup diretory till 4G and then it stops :(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The only changes I made were to
php_value upload_max_filesize = 15000M
php_value post_max_size 15000M

Freesnofla

Patron
Hi guys, nice to hear that some of you managed to come to the point that you can upload without limit. I can't yet.
My thoughts was that I should by ssh root@freeNasIP or ssh root@owncloudIP to the path where I could change the entry. But when I try doing so I fail. When I come to that point my idea was that I do have the admin user (webinterface) and I changed that password. But what about the root user does those accounts also have a password or do I have to give that accounts passwords? I'm really bit hopeless right now, and belive me I wrote a lot. As Einstein said " If you cant explain it simply you don't understand it well enough" maybe some of you can help me trough that really hard journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.