OpenVPN server thru OpenVPN client connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bashern

Dabbler
My home internet connection is a 4G device, so there are NATs that I have no control over, and therefore unable to publicly expose a port or use a Dynamic DNS.

I use OpenVPN as a client to connect to a service called airvpn. They offer port forwarding and dynamic dns, so I can map my plex server port 32000 to a public port for outside access to my media.

I want to use that same client connection to expose an OpenVPN server so I can access my home network.

How would I go about doing this?

I am aware that I could accomplish this by using SoftEther's VPN Azure service, but I would like to try this method as described, if its possible.

I struggle with a 200/30 connection sometimes, 4g->device->openvpn->airvpn->plex, this might be a futile attempt, or you'll have to stream in such a low quality, you might be better off streaming from certain Kodi addons and save yourself the headache. Unless of course you are in some booming metro area with smoking 4g service. Send more details.

Now with that said what you describe should be technically possible. There are lots of points of failure in this scenario. What we need to know in the interim, is how will this 4g device be connected to your FreeNAS box? Is there routing of any sort after this 4g wan device?

Bashern

Dabbler
My 4g device is connected via USB as a WAN interface to a wrt1900ac router running openWRT, so besides the WAN source a typical home networking setup.

I have 1 jail running both plex and my openvpn client. I configured my airvpn service to map a public port to my internal 32400 port. I even have the option to assign this port a DDNS if I wanted to expose a different host. This sucessfully exposes my plex server and I can access it from anywhere.

I'm just curious how I would set up my openvpn configuration file to run two instances at the same time in the same jail.

As far as I am aware, you are not allowed to share a VPN tunnel between jails.

My thought process makes me believe I could set up the openvpn server to use my openvpn client connection to expose a port and assign a ddns address back to my server, giving me an address to connect to while I'm on the road.

Right now, I have softether VPN running in a seperate jail, and I am able to tunnel in through their free azure redirect service and access my home network.

Either way I go, due to my 4G device's NATs, I will need a redirect to VPN in.

If i wanted to make my life easy I would just run the vpn client on the router, and the server in a jail, but not all my devices need to take a performance hit going through airvpn. Perhaps I should explore the static routes feature on my router so i can have devices bypass the routers VPN connection if thats what its for? I'm a networking amateur, as you can see!

Status
Not open for further replies.