Chriscoll033

Cadet
Checking status of zfs pools:
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
freenas-boot 29.2G 1.83G 27.4G - - 6% 1.00x ONLINE -
storage 10.9T 550G 10.3T - 1% 4% 1.00x DEGRADED /mnt

pool: storage
state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator.
Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
degraded state.
action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device with
'zpool replace'.
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h43m with 0 errors on Sun Oct 9 00:43:21 2016
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
storage DEGRADED 0 0 0
raidz2-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
gptid/a63cdda4-5023-11e6-882f-e89a8f922ebe ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/a67bd697-5023-11e6-882f-e89a8f922ebe ONLINE 0 0 0
9548828441550286370 REMOVED 0 0 0 was /dev/gptid/a6c2a01e-5023-11e6-882f-e89a8f922ebe
gptid/a70b360a-5023-11e6-882f-e89a8f922ebe ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/a7553650-5023-11e6-882f-e89a8f922ebe ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/a7ad0995-5023-11e6-882f-e89a8f922ebe ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

I am new to freenas. I received this email this morning and I am having a hard time locating exactly what drive is the one that went bad so I can replace it. Can someone please help me.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Check the serial numbers for all the other drives with smartctl. The other drive will be the unknown serial number.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you get any other error messages? My first reaction would be to shut down the machine, then check all the data cables and power cables for the drives, then power back up and see what happens.

So lets say you still have a drive down, you can find that like indicated above or you should see error messages during the bootstrap process or could look at the output of "dmesg".

So I'd look at communication failures, of course hard drive failures, or maybe you accidentally removed the drive from the pool.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the drive needs to be replaced is all I'm saying.

Chriscoll033

Cadet
Like I said I am new to this so I may need a little more guidance. So the hard drives themselves I did not mark the serial number down so I have no idea what drive is the drive that is saying it is removed. I have not physically removed any drives so I'm not sure why I am getting this error. Is there a command that I can put to light up the bad drive so I can see what drive it is and replace it? I can see the serial number in the system but I would have no idea physically what drive it is. I'd just like a little guidance on how I can determine exactly which one it is. Thanks a lot so far for the help.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can see the serial number in the system but I would have no idea physically what drive it is.
The label on each drive will have a serial number, which will match the serial number shown in the GUI. The drive that has a serial number that doesn't appear in the GUI is the one that's dropped out and (probably) needs to be replaced.

For future use, you may want to mark your drives in a visible place with the last few digits of the serial number. You might also want to make some kind of listing/chart/diagram showing which drive (serial number) is where in your system. Then, the next time something like this happens (and it will, because hard drives are mechanical devices and fail from time to time), you'll be able to locate the bad drive much more quickly.
I have not physically removed any drives so I'm not sure why I am getting this error.
Because the system doesn't see the drive any more. It has no way of knowing whether you've physically removed it, whether it's died the death, whether a cable has come loose or become defective, or whatever.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well I'll just give you the quick way to get your drive serial numbers...

Enter the Shell, you can do this via the GUI or the Console, if you don't know how to do this, you need to read the User Guide. It doesn't sound like you are ready for using Putty and SSH. After entering the shell type dmesg | grep Serial | more and you will hopefully see your hard drive serial numbers listed twice. Look for the hard drive not included in this list.

Stux

MVP
If your drive bays have activity lights, you could start a scrub.

The one that doesn't light up is not in the pool.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If your drive bays have activity lights, you could start a scrub.

The one that doesn't light up is not in the pool.
Now that is an interesting take for sure.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
For future use, you may want to mark your drives in a visible place with the last few digits of the serial number. You might also want to make some kind of listing/chart/diagram showing which drive (serial number) is where in your system. Then, the next time something like this happens (and it will, because hard drives are mechanical devices and fail from time to time), you'll be able to locate the bad drive much more quickly.

If you're interested in a script to do this I've made one, see the useful scripts link in my signature ;)

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you're interested in a script to do this I've made one, see the useful scripts link in my signature ;)
I too take a sharpie and write down the last 4 digits of the serial number on the edge of the drive where I can easily see it when the drive is installed in the case and I only use the label of the drive to get the serial number. Low Tech Solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.