on demand backup client

KriZa

Cadet
Hi!

Is there any software like the Synology Drive Client for TrueNAS?

We want to have a backup sync of our files (which are shared between several accounts) like the SDC has. Means Windows Explorer integration and if I never opened a specific file on a client, it'll not beeing downloaded to the client. But when I opened it, it should be on the client for (online/offline) work and updated if necessary.

Thanks!

Synology Drive Client is the desktop utility that provides file syncing and personal computer backup services on multiple client computers to a centralized server, Synology Drive Server.

Technically, that's client-side software that does a sync. with Network Attached Storage, although in this case it only works with Synology products.

It sounds like your end-goal is to have a Windows client that can sync with NAS to act as File Collaoration Software.

You could use something like SecondCopy to do a one-way copy both directions (keeping the most recent) by setting the Age of the files to keep, though this would copy the whole dataset unless you manipulate the Archive flag periodically. DO NOT use a Sync in SecondCopy because that works as a very simple concept but will not work in a 3-way (or more) sync. (Trust me on this, many papers have been written on the subject and one of our upper-managers--the "smartest guy in the room" type--did this and hosed up thousands of files across five datasets by thinking a simple Sync could be more than a one-to-one relationship.)

File Collaboration Software often works, though sometimes (often) Version Control Software is a better choice. Most places don't want to take the time required to set up and use VCS, at least until the frequency in which FCS blows up on them becomes painfully counter-productive.

What you do is up to you, though the answer to your question is "Find File Collaoration Software that meets your needs."

KriZa

Cadet
I'm not really sure if that is what I'm looking for. But many thanks to you to share your thoughts!
Seems to me, that we'll save money by buying a Synology NAS instead of searching and testing software for weeks that fit our needs.