ohaider

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASburgundy

Cadet
Hello, another BSD newbie here. Lost another ext hdd last weekend and realized that it's time to build a real storage solution that can last me a few years and get serious about backing up my data.

I have been long time reader and observer, but wanted to register so I can post the obligatory please school me on how to build my setup thread, this seems like a great community. I was hesitant to go the freeNAS route since ix systems got behind it, but the community seems top notch here, and Jupiter Broadcasting has never steered me to a bad company yet ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Whoa. You call us top notch again and I'll give you an enema!

As a BSD noob if you get familiar with our manual (doc.freenas.org), check our out stickies in various sections, and read my noobie guide (link in my signature) you'll find most of your newbie questions answered there.

Welcome to the forums. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh shiz.. you pulled out *that* card! It is on now! :D

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The hardware forum sticky is particularly relevant. The general hardware suggested is targeted at the serious end user or small business setup, but the overall strategy is meant for everyone who cares about their data. We typically suggest server-grade hardware, which many people read as "expensive" but actually ends up costing less than high performance desktop hardware. There's lots of help and guidance available, especially if you are willing to read previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.