Offlined disk goes online again after reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
I just offlined ada0 preparatory to replacing it, then realised I did not have a gptid to serial number record, so rebooted the server to look for the info. When I did so I found that ada0 was marked as online again and zpool status normal except that it claimed to have "resilvered 102M in 0h0m with no errors".

Is this expected behaviour?

Edit: ada0 now has two gptids, hope they have the same serial number!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is this expected behaviour?
I believe it is.

The 102M resilver is about what I'd expect for a drive that was "away" from the pool for a bit, with some activity going on.

rogerh

Guru
I believe it is.

The 102M resilver is about what I'd expect for a drive that was "away" from the pool for a bit, with some activity going on.
So it doesn't stay 'offlined' if you reboot, you have to physically remove it - that makes sense.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Offline simply tells ZFS to stop using the drive for the time being. You can online the drive from the CLI (maybe someday you'll be able to do this from the WebGUI) or reboot. On reboot ZFS will find all the disks that belong to the zpool and then attempt to use them all. When this happens ZFS will resilver all of the missing transactions, which is the extra 102MB you are referring to.

The behavior is totally normal and expected.

rogerh

Guru
Offline simply tells ZFS to stop using the drive for the time being. You can online the drive from the CLI (maybe someday you'll be able to do this from the WebGUI) or reboot. On reboot ZFS will find all the disks that belong to the zpool and then attempt to use them all. When this happens ZFS will resilver all of the missing transactions, which is the extra 102MB you are referring to.

The behavior is totally normal and expected.
That makes sense, thanks. I assumed the offline disk was tagged in some way, but thinking about it, there would be no obvious advantage in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.