Off Site Backup via BTsync? WHS2011 & FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDrizz

Dabbler
Hey,
I'll try to keep this as brief as possible ;)

Myself and a friend both have servers, The HP Proliant N40L, I'm running Freenas 9.2 and he is running Window Home Server 2011. We both have no more then 3TB of data each.

We are looking at using each others server, using external HDD's) as a off site data backup using BTsync. The plan is to do a initial sync locally, to take the majority of load, and then let BTsync do it's thing.

Trouble is I'm not sure this will work because FN uses ZFS and WHS doesn't. Really need to know if this is a good or bad idea? I did think that it might be ok because both servers are writing locally in their native format and BTsync is just sending this data over the Internet.

Thanks.

Durandal

Explorer
I have also wondered this, when i stumbled on this thread i just did a fast googling and found http://www.mysticg.com/2013/10/22/freenas-jail-with-bittorrent-sync/ that has a guide for installing BTsync on FreeNAS. Will try this myself as soon as my new FreeNAS machine is up and running. When it comes to compability i would think that it works good.

raidflex

Guru
It will work fine. I current have my BTsync backing up Windows 7/8, Android, iPhone, Linux Mint, Arch, without any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.