Odd ZFS Alert after upgrade to 9.2.0-RC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your data isn't at risk. Your pool's formatting just isn't ideal for the disks you are using.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Atomic

Contributor
Hey,

I got this warning massage as well, how can I migrate the ZFS pool to 4k block size, ONLINE? The FreeNAS operates in a production environment and I don't have enough disk space to backup everything.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't. You rebuild the pool just like the sticky I wrote last week explains.

NoValidTitle

Cadet
You don't. You rebuild the pool just like the sticky I wrote last week explains.

That's really shitty, you would think there would be some built in warning telling you about this at the time of pool creation. I have no way to backup 12TB of data to fix this. Wonderful.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's really shitty, you would think there would be some built in warning telling you about this at the time of pool creation. I have no way to backup 12TB of data to fix this. Wonderful.

Warnings are for things that are probably wrong, but might be right.

Every single pool created between ZFS v1 and when 4k drives hit the market used an ashift of 9, and that was 100% proper.

So no, a warning wasn't appropriate until recently. And now you get the warning, which is appropriate for today. In fact, I'm betting in the next 30 years sector sizes will increase from 4k to 16k+. So should we start warning people right now their ashift value is wrong? I don't think so.. and I doubt you do either. ;)

Yes, this is VERY inconvenient for home users. For some, it's impossible to recover from. But, if you knew what you were doing when you created the pool you could have been forward-thinking and not had this problem. I didn't have this problem. And if you were doing things properly, you'd have a backup. And that would mean recovery from this situation is absolutely possible. ;)

KempelofDoom

Explorer
YAY! I just swapped the internals of my rig and upgraded from 9.2.1.3 to 9.2.1.5 and got the block size error. Going to have to replace 16 3TB drives with 4TB's. I originally created the pool on 8.3.1.

ixion

Dabbler
Is there still no way to disable the warning? If not, this should be a feature request IMO.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can disable them.. there's a checkbox next to each alert so you can "dismiss" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.