noVNC appears to have been removed and SPICE not working well

sfatula

Guru
I did try virt-viewer on Linux just to see it, not a great UI but it does work at least. On Linux, it doesn't suffer from the empty recent connections issue (but you can't name them which is not ideal). It's too bad Remmina doesn't exist for Windows, it's so nice. At least I think it doesn't, not a Windows user.

panzerscope

Contributor
Yeah, Spice is a massive step backwards, I have the exact same issue. Fortunately I can get into the VM via Teamviewer, but I have times I would like to use the standard GUI. Spice is rubbish is its current guise.

Tymarand

Cadet
I created a forum account just to comment on this. I too am disappointed at the removal of NoVNC. It just worked, now there is this issue that everyone is mentioning where if you leave the SPICE browser window, it "locks up" and no longer allows KB or mouse input. The only way to correct this is to close the tab and reopen. Then of course you HAVE TO enter a password. Us homelab enthusiasts don't really need passwords.

I have successfully used virt-viewer from my Windows PC to the virtual machines but it removes the convenience of being able to just click the "Display" option from TrueNAS GUI and connect quickly and easily.

Searches of the release notes do not mention this change, unless I missed it. Could someone from iX Systems comment on this change please?

Thank you.

GyulaMasa

Dabbler
This is a serious regression when upgrading to TrueNAS Scale cobia 23.10. Upgraders with VMs beware! The old VNC was able to maintain logged in GUI sessions for months, which was crucial in jobs that required a working GUI (think browsers that scrape web pages). The new spice driver does lock up (mostly disconnect mouse and keyboard). After 2-5 mins the spice driver just kills the GUI session, even cron! The workaround that I found so far (worked for 3 weeks so far) is to keep a terminal open with an app running like 'htop' The constant flashing of processes makes spice think that something is happening. Give that a try.

Any luck installing another vnc server/client combo? Maybe RustDesk? https://github.com/rustdesk/rustdesk/releases
I use X2go under linux.
All my headless machines were ubunut server + x2go.
clients are available for all OS-es (Linux, win, mac)
You only have to have a working ssh connection under.
You can even select, what windows manager to use (LXDE to GNOME).
But you must install the seleted window manager on the server to ba able to use it.
Also, recently I recognised that root login is not always enabled. (I think, it is a ssh setting, not an Yx2go setting)
So for security reasons, create a secondary, sudo user for this prupose.
Also, after a new install on server side the client might be necessary to update too, because at some updates, backward compatibility breaks.
Otherwise I really like that it is working out of the box if properly installed.
The only limitation I encountered is that it is only working on local networks (At least I did not put too much effort trying to solve this . I guess, since it is over ssh, with a fixed IP or dyndns plus port forvarding, it should work)