Not Too Old/But New

dlp1950

Dabbler
I joined this forum back in March 2018. I inherited the responsibility of the FreeNAS 11.1 server from the person who was deposed. I have learned a little, and have been helped by people in this forum, for which I am thankful, since the deposed person would not render any assistance at all. The flash drives on the mirrored system started to fail, and so I have just replaced them with 2 3.0 USB/64GB SSD's. I updated from a new setup using the FreeNAS 11.2 download, and restored an "Include Password Secret Seed" backup. Hopefully we are good to go now. I really like to new interface.

Yorick

Wizard
I'm curious how those USB 3 USB sticks will treat you. Mine started overheating and failing within a month or two. I am told that USB 2 sticks are not as prone to that.

dlp1950

Dabbler
I'm curious how those USB 3 USB sticks will treat you. Mine started overheating and failing within a month or two. I am told that USB 2 sticks are not as prone to that.

They are not sticks, they are actually Solid State Drives, and the connect via a 6" cable to the USB ports. I saw where the 3.0 Flash drives were overheating, but these a staying cool to touch. They are in a metal case. I am sending you the screen capture from amazon.com. These were originally available in 32GB, now they only have 64GB and higher.

Attachments

• miniSSD.jpg
    miniSSD.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 272

Yorick

Wizard
Oh cool. Yeah those will be fine.

l@e

Contributor
If they use some kind of usb to sata converter like any external hdd i would not trust them for 24/7 operations. This is from personal experience.
For overheating will no problem for sure.