Not enough Memory to Decompress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbelle

Cadet
I made a FreeNAS boot usb using unenbootin and when I boot to usb It starts but then I get an Error that there is not enough Memory to decompress.

Its A DellOPtiplex 960 with @ HDDs 8 gb of Ram.

Can someone help me in the right direction

My guess is unetbootin is doing something to cause a problem. Just burn the iso to disc and install that way. If there is not an optical drive in the computer in question use a different one to install it and then insert the boot drive into the server and go from there.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I made a FreeNAS boot usb using unenbootin and when I boot to usb It starts but then I get an Error that there is not enough Memory to decompress.

Its A DellOPtiplex 960 with @ HDDs 8 gb of Ram.

Can someone help me in the right direction
What size is the USB drive that you used? What are you planning to install the operating system to?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
8GB flash drive does not meet minimum size requirement

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
8gb flash drive
If you're trying to install freenas to an 8GB flash drive, that's not a large enough. If you're using a 8 gigabyte flash drive as the medium from which to install, that's different.

Jbelle

Cadet
8GB flash drive does not meet minimum size requirement

Well DUH. Lol to me... guess i shoukd of read directions? Whats the amount needed for USB dis it change. I could of sworn i dis it on 8
A gig stick before?

Jbelle

Cadet
If you're trying to install freenas to an 8GB flash drive, that's not a large enough. If you're using a 8 gigabyte flash drive as the medium from which to install, that's different.

I took the FreeNAS iso and used Unenbooten to make a usb bootable image.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You used to be able to boot from the installation media and then install to the same media, but you can't do that anymore. The 8GB USB stick is listed as the bare minimum with 16GB recommended.

https://doc.freenas.org/11/intro.html

The specific hardware you are trying to use is at the very bottom end of what might work.
You should review the recommendations in the resources section of the Forum.

Jbelle

Cadet
You used to be able to boot from the installation media and then install to the same media, but you can't do that any more. The 8GB USB stick is listed as the bare minimum with 16GB recommended.

https://doc.freenas.org/11/intro.html

The specific hardware you are trying to use is at the very bottom end of what might work.
You should review the recommendations in the resources section of the Forum.

Thank you for tour help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wblock

Documentation Engineer
A lot of ISO writing utilities take apart the image and modify it. Please don't use those. The User Guide talks about which utilities have been tested. If an unlisted utility is used, please make sure it just writes the binary image to the USB stick, like dd or Rufus in dd mode.

Jbelle

Cadet
A lot of ISO writing utilities take apart the image and modify it. Please don't use those. The User Guide talks about which utilities have been tested. If an unlisted utility is used, please make sure it just writes the binary image to the USB stick, like dd or Rufus in dd mode.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.