BUILD Not Booting Off USB Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEsuUf

Dabbler
Hi all, I'm trying to install FreeNAS on the Hardware in my signature. But the Box won't boot off the install USB.
It can boot off the usb installer, ubuntu server, & ubuntu-desktop.

So my assumption is that the drivers for the box are not on the installing to usb. my motherboard is circa 2009/10.

I that a way to fix this might be install an older version of FreeNAS then run an upgrade. Does anyone think this will work, and if so,
which install should i use?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
We can't see the signature information on Tapatalk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs in post, FreeNAS version and error message? All info that should be the first thing you post, we should not have to ask for it.

tvsjr

Guru
I'm suspecting UEFI drama, but you haven't given enough information. And, no, installing an older version and then upgrading isn't likely to improve things.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
That's a Gigabyte motherboard that might pre-date UEFI. "Won't boot" is really vague, though. Also, we can't tell which version of FreeNAS is being used.

AEsuUf

Dabbler
We can't see the signature information on Tapatalk.
i3-530 on a H55M-s2h Mobo
8GB DDR3-1066 (9-9-9-24)(non-ecc)

Also, a pic of the error you're getting would be useful.
It is not so much that it is not an error, than the fact that the FreeNAS 11.1 install causes the BIOS screen to freeze. Any other bootable usb, no problem.

I'm suspecting UEFI drama, but you haven't given enough information.
I installed using bootable LiveCD usb (to usb) with the legacy BIOS option. wrote ithe LiveCD using dd on Ubuntu.
No UEFI at all

Last edited:

AEsuUf

Dabbler
Bump please. Hopefully I answered all your questions completely

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
wrote ithe LiveCD using dd on Ubuntu.
You can't make the boot USB with dd. Not that it can't physically be done, it won't work properly, which is the problem you are having.
There should be a utility (even in Ubuntu) for making a bootable USB from an ISO file. You must use that.

The hardware you have selected is far from ideal. This is just for evaluation, I hope. If you plan to put valuable data here, I strongly suggest that you don't do it.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
You can't make the boot USB with dd.
I'm confused. If this is a FreeNAS installer, yes, it can be written with dd. I'd say that's the preferred method of writing the FreeNAS installer image to USB, actually.

rogerh

Guru
Writing a bootable USB stick from an .iso file with dd never worked for me. I am afraid I don't understand why, but I suspect the BIOS expects USB sticks to look different from CDs. I couldn't put it more technically than that!

AEsuUf

Dabbler
Writing a bootable USB stick from an .iso file with dd never worked for me. I am afraid I don't understand why, but I suspect the BIOS expects USB sticks to look different from CDs. I couldn't put it more technically than that!
I dd'd the bootable CD iso to a usb, it booted, installed to a second usb, rebooted and second usb won't load.

Last edited:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
These are hybrid images, meant to work either from CD or memory stick. Some ISO images are not hybrid, though. For example, FreeBSD provides different images for CDs and memory sticks.

AEsuUf

Dabbler
As far as I can tell, the bootable "LiveCD" worked. It booted, went through the install process to the other usb drive, and completed. Then I tried to boot from the FreeNAS installed usb, and it freeze on the BIOS screen.

So there is no solution here.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is your bio set to UEFI mode or legacy mode?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It is set to legacy bios
When you did the installation, did you select Legacy boot mode?

Indur

Cadet
I also have an older Gigabyte motherboard, can not boot off of the USB drive with FreeNAS. computer locks up at bios screen if FreeNAS USB drive is installed. was able to use the same USB drive to boot a Linux distro just fine. tried another USB drive same issue. But it boots on other computer just fine. Currently going to try IDE drive instead but it looks to me to be an old Gigabyte motherboard BIOS has issue with it.

Yes I know, this is old hardware for this, I am just experimenting.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Look in the resources section of this forum and find the hardware recommendation guide and read it that gigabyte motherboard is not recommended and you shouldn't use it

Status
Not open for further replies.