No Unison in Version 8.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi-Liter

Explorer
Hi,
I was wondering why there is no support for unison planed in 8.1 any longer? It was supported in the 7.x versions and as I understand, it was also planned for 8.1.
The way I see it, rsync isn't a sufficient replacement for Unison, since I think there might be more users who need a service that can also deal with updates to both replicas of a distributed directory structure (for example if you would like to use FreeNAS to synchronize files between your pc and notebook). Further on, rsync clients for Windows are just horrible and way more inconvenient (in most cases, you need to create NTFS junction points for all the directories you want to backup in one central location) than unison clients.
So I was wondering what the reason for not implementing unison really are. Or did I not so a viable alternative to unison that is already, or will be, implemented?

Hi-Liter

Explorer
I'm sorry, I didn't notice that there is a Feature Request forum, I guess this thread belongs there.

olegsomphane

Dabbler
Just wondering, is unison faster if you do ssh rather than mapping the drive and using local sync?

olegsomphane

Dabbler
I thought unison would copy only the parts of files that are changed even when it is set to use local sync. I guess the difference would be that some of the file processing would be done server side if freenas supported unison?

Hi-Liter

Explorer
Oh, ok, I thought Unison was exclusively a client-server model. So I could just install unison on a client and sync e.g. an iSCSI drive from my FreeNas Server?

olegsomphane

Dabbler
Yes, if you mount or map the drive, you can then do local directory sync on it. It would take longer to sync, though, since the freenas files would have to be processed over the network by your PC rather than the freenas box itself.

G

gcooper

The reason why I yanked it off the list for 8.1 was because our backlog is long enough now and we're trying to resolve more pressing issues that getting around to this doesn't make sense because there hasn't been a business case for it yet.

Things can change, but from my perspective it's off the roadmap.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sorry to hear it, but core functionality and stability needs to be top priority. Good to hear it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.