No suitable video mode found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmprog

Cadet
Hey everyone! I don't have much experience with linux, so I apologize if I ask any noob questions.

I am currently trying to install FreeNAS on an older Mac pro. 64-bit, dual Xeons, 8gb of RAM, and a few hard-drives, so I can't see any problem with meeting the minimum specs. I have also installed Ubuntu and GRUB on this system before.

I made a bootable FreeNAS drive using the dd command on the mac. I can successfully boot from it and get into the GRUB menu, however when I select the FreeNAS option I get a message saying "Error: no suitable video mode found. Booting in EFI blind mode. Press any key to continue..." Once I press a key, the computer freezes. I have tried leaving it for over an hour, but it stays frozen on that message.

After some google-fu, I found that other people with the same issue had solved it by removing the kern.vty=$kernvt commands in the GRUB entry. However, it stated that I should have 3 of these lines, and I only have one, which didn't affect the outcome when I deleted it (yes, I scrolled down, I only had one other command when I scrolled. Could I somehow be missing boot commands?).

I have tried some earlier versions, creating the drive on windows, checking the sha256 sum, and using 3 different external drives, but nothing I do can circumvent this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20161201_213312.jpg
    20161201_213312.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 696

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I would imagine, but its the only computer I had laying around, so I was hoping it would at least be possible.
Unfortunately, it seems that Apple decided not to implement standard video modes...

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

dmprog

Cadet
Haha, that's very true. I'm not a mac user, I just needed one for xcode capabilities and have been trying to hack it for other things ever since. Literally everything is a huge pain to do. Sometimes apple doesn't even let you run commands with sudo, you have to run them while the mac is in recovery mode to bypass SIP.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I have the same "problem" with a new Supermicro A2SDi-8C-HLN4F. FreeNAS works, though. (I always us a VM to install on USB thumbdrives, then put these into my production server).

Serial console is fine, VGA shows the same message as for the OP.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.