No "security run output" mails since update to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501301837

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
I'm getting no "security run output" mails since I updated from FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501241715 to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501301837 last weekend (while I would have expected some such mails). Sending test messages from FreeNAS are still possible, though.

I'm in the middle of doing my first FreeNAS build, so user configuration errors are possible.

What I am missing:
- No mail due to the OS update itself ("changes in mounted filesystems") as mentioned above
- No mail due to login failures via SSH (deliberately mistyped)
- My daily "vboxdrv" kernel log message (possibly another question)

Unfortunately, I made some other changes to the system on the same day, which I try to summarize here:
- Created new volume consisting of two mirrored SSDs
- System dataset pool moved to this new volume
- HDD standby activated for those HDDs which constituted the previously used system dataset pool

Is anybody else seeing this absence of "security run output" mails on FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501301837 or is this a problem specific to my system? Any hints?

MrToddsFriends

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Now that I think about it, NUT didn't warn me of a power failure the other day when I disconnected the UPS to do some cable management in the office.

Edit: Test e-mail from the button arrives normally.

Last edited:

strawdog74

Dabbler
I'm getting no "security run output" mails since I updated from FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501241715 to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501301837 last weekend (while I would have expected some such mails). Sending test messages from FreeNAS are still possible, though.

I'm in the middle of doing my first FreeNAS build, so user configuration errors are possible.

What I am missing:
- No mail due to the OS update itself ("changes in mounted filesystems") as mentioned above
- No mail due to login failures via SSH (deliberately mistyped)
- My daily "vboxdrv" kernel log message (possibly another question)

Unfortunately, I made some other changes to the system on the same day, which I try to summarize here:
- Created new volume consisting of two mirrored SSDs
- System dataset pool moved to this new volume
- HDD standby activated for those HDDs which constituted the previously used system dataset pool

Is anybody else seeing this absence of "security run output" mails on FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501301837 or is this a problem specific to my system? Any hints?

MrToddsFriends

YES! I also noticed this and found your post after searching the forums. It only started when I upgraded to 9.3 stable and I made no other changes (except for re-importing my ZFS volume)

Did you fix it? I am looking at periodic.conf and it is configured as follows (I lost the one from before the upgrade so cannot tell if this is what's changed) :

Code:
daily_status_zfs_enable="YES"
daily_status_ata_raid_enable="YES"
daily_status_gmirror_enable="YES"
daily_status_graid3_enable="YES"
daily_status_gstripe_enable="YES"
daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
daily_submit_queuerun="NO"
daily_status_3ware_raid_enable="YES"
daily_status_security_neggrpperm_enable="NO"
daily_status_security_chksetuid_enable="NO"
daily_status_disks_enable="NO"
daily_backup_passwd_enable="NO"
daily_backup_pkgdb_enable="NO"
daily_status_security_diff_no_today_info="NO"
daily_status_security_chkmounts_ignore="(.+)@(.+)[[:space:]]+/mnt/\1/\.zfs/snapshot/\2"
daily_show_success="NO"
security_show_success="NO"
weekly_locate_enable="NO"
monthly_show_success="NO"

If you have a fix, then can you let me know?

strawdog74

Dabbler
Update - I found the following thread :-

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/daily-email-not-being-sent.20486/#post-117232

This says that since 9.2.1.4 "There are no daily emails anymore. Only if there is something to report, an email is sent (or after a reboot as you have encountered)."

I quite liked the reassurance of getting the "everything ok" mails, I will see if I can reactivate them by altering the periodic.conf enable flags.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/setup-smart-reporting-via-email.6211/

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@strawdog74

Please put in a bug ticket to request the emails be reimplemented. I'll add my +1 vote.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
If you have a fix, then can you let me know?

The anomalous behavior I pointed out seemed to be specific to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501301837 and apparently got fixed in one of the following updates since then.

So, it is unrelated to both anything in a 9.2.x release and your bug report / feature request for a daily "everything o.k." mail.

MrToddsFriends

strawdog74

Dabbler
The anomalous behavior I pointed out seemed to be specific to FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501301837 and apparently got fixed in one of the following updates since then.

So, it is unrelated to both anything in a 9.2.x release and your bug report / feature request for a daily "everything o.k." mail.

MrToddsFriends

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for hijacking your thread!

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Nick Townsend

Dabbler
Bah. NTBF before I saw it.

Well, if you setup daily emails via the script I wrote you *will* get daily emails. So you can use that as a "no news is still good news".

Where is the script you wrote. I want to get my daily emails to monitor disk space. Please send me the script.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Status
Not open for further replies.