No disk visible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stauf

Dabbler
Hello,

I'm starting a NAS with FreeNAS. I've emptied my two disks (2 To each), and installed them in my future server.
I've started with a CD with the last freenas image (FreeNAS 8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x86), copied on an USB stick, restarted, and displayed the webGUI on another PC.
All that is fine.
After having changed the admin password, created one user, i've tried to create the volume.
But no disk is visible (Volume >>> View disks>>> no disk appear).
On Volumes >>> Volume manager,Member disks (# is 0) and the frame is empty.

I've verified in BIOS : the two disks are present.

In shell, i've tried to see them by listing the /dev directory content: I don't think they are present (they should be named adaxx, no ?)

Well, i'm lost!:confused:

Thanks for your help.

joshg678

Explorer
My Guess would be either FreeNAS does not have the drivers for the controller you are using, or the controller is not displaying the disks using JBOD and are basically hiding them behind a raid controller.

What does the following command show? (probably nothing but the boot device)
camcontrol devlist

Stauf

Dabbler
My Guess would be either FreeNAS does not have the drivers for the controller you are using, or the controller is not displaying the disks using JBOD and are basically hiding them behind a raid controller.

What does the following command show? (probably nothing but the boot device)
camcontrol devlist

Thanks for your answer.
Indeed, I just see the usb stick (da0) and the two cd devices (cd0,cd1). But no hard disk.

I forgot to tell (but it's just a confirmation): when instaling freenas, it just proposed me to install on usb stick and didn't display any hard drive.

So, do you know what to do?
Thanks again.

joshg678

Explorer
What type of data controller are you usIng? (model number/type/brand etc)

Stauf

Dabbler
Motherboard MSI K9A2GM V3

BIOS verson: V2.0 041608

The motherboard supports RAID (RAID Mode IDE or RAID), but I suppose I have to keep IDE option (RAID is done by software, no ?)

joshg678

Explorer
is there an AHCI option?
you do not want to use the raid mode at all. If you only have raid options, choose disable if you can.

You would want to use ZFS with FreeNAS. Provided when you setup the ZFS Pool, you will have raid (yes done by software).

Stauf

Dabbler
Great!

Your question gave me an idea. I've searched about the BIOS version and the most recent one in the net.
I've then reflashed a new version (v2.5 instead of v2.0)... Had to reinstall Windows for that !

And... It works. My disks are now visible.

Thanks a lot for the help.

joshg678

Explorer
good to hear. Congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.