NGinx in a FreeNAS 11.1-u5 jail?

Greg_E

Explorer
I've spent a couple of hours searching through google and not finding what I need to do, so hoping someone can point me in the correct direction or provide a step by step to help me.

What I want to do is set up NGinx in a jail on my FreeNAS server, and I want to load the RTMP and Stream module with it. The goal is to take an encoder in our TV studio and point it to this NGinx server, and send a stream to the server. The server then streams to connected clients. I found what seems to be a simple set of instructions to get this working on BSD, but I can't install anything once I have a jail built.

https://opensource.com/article/19/1/basic-live-video-streaming-server

I keep getting repository errors. I'm stuck on 11.1-u5 until the middle of May when our students are done for the summer and may be able to upgrade to 11.1 current or 11.2 current if that will make things function.

Alternate thing I may need to do is set up a lightweight linux VM, but trying to keep things as simple as possible.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Wait until you can update to 11.2 before you do this and expose your jail to the outside world. FreeBSD 11.1 is EOL and no longer supported.

Greg_E

Explorer
It will only be on our college LAN, but I get what you are saying.

Greg_E

Explorer
I think for the time being, I'm going to set up a Mistserver on the same server as our Shoutcast server.

Greg_E

Explorer
Thanks, I'll take a look and see what I can do. Probably upgrading to 11.2-uX over the summer and might save me some money over the price of a MistServer Pro.

So far the free MistServer version is mostly doing what I need, would like to get RTSP going instead of RTMP, just supported by more players.

Either way it gives me options, and options are nice when your budget keeps getting cut.

tidetech

Cadet
For sure!
That video I posted also includes using HLS and VideoJS to build an HTML5 friendly player.

Greg_E

Explorer
Awesome. The Mistserver gave me that as well, was built into the web gui and a cut and paste later made it work.