SOLVED NFS mount issues with 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tduval

Cadet
Currently running FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201502050159

We have an NFS share on this server that most of our Linux VMs can mount to without issue. The problem is with some older Linux VMs. These VMs are running Red Hat 7.1 (Seawolf, 2001) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (2003)

These older systems can mount NFS shares from FreeNas server running 8.0.4 but cannot mount to the new server (9.3)

When the mount command is issued it just hangs. Anything to check here? When the /etc/fstab was updated to point to the new server and we tried to reboot hte server the error we noticed was something like "invalid argument" We had to eventually remove the nfs mount from fstab in order to boot.

Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Older versions of NFS default to UDP instead of TCP and won't auto-negotiate for TCP. FreeNAS 9.3 uses TCP exclusively and you must explicitly enable UDP if you want to use it.

You have two easy options AFAIK:

1. Check the Serve "UDP NFS clients" checkbox for NFS settings.
2. Tell your clients to connect via TCP.

Both UDP and TCP have pluses and minuses, so be sure to read up and decide which option is better for your situation.

tduval

Cadet
That worked! The Red Hat 7.1 worked for UDP after we enabled the option on the server and for the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 we had to force it to use TCP.

Thank you

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Haha. It was random chance you got the answer. This exact problem hit me with someone else, which is the only reason I even had a guess.

I'm not familiar with your network, but I'd expect that either UDP or TCP would be "best" for your situation (again, UDP and TCP are better in different ways) and not both on the same network. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.