Newly discovered ntp vulnerability, please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
Hi,

I wonder what we, as user, can do to fix the newly discovered NTP vulnerability (as seen here for instance: http://arstechnica.com/security/201...l-bugs-in-net-time-sync-puts-servers-at-risk/).

To sum this up, the vulnerability add one more way to escalate to root privileges for hackers, even beginners.

So since Freenas has a non persistent changes policy on its system (ie: as I understand, if I update ntp manually, the changes will not stick upon reboot), what is the best way to patch this vulnerability ? Thx

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Your FreeNAS shouldn't be directly exposed to the Internet and so this shouldn't be a critical problem. You can wait for the patch to be released.

rogerh

Guru
Should be fairly safe if you don't allow any outside access to ntp on the Freenas server. And perhaps only allow it to access a local (patched) ntp server.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Looks like I'm updating my router.

This has been quite a year... I must've joked that the only thing that didn't have a vulnerability discovered this year was NTP, and look where we are...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, I hate to say it, there were problems with NTP earlier this year too... massive DDoS vulnerability.

obDisclosure: I work with the NTP project too.

bitsandnumbers

Dabbler
Well, I sometime open the SSH port to the internet for remote maintenance, I don't know if it will expose NTP in that case.

Anyway, I will wait for an update from Freenas, as suggested.

Thanks for all your answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.