Newbie user can't access CIFS share, config issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigante

Cadet
Hi there! Total newbie FreeNAS user here, evaluating the OS. I downloaded the latest version a couple of days ago. I'm having trouble with the share configuration.

I made a simple install of the OS with default settings. Created a zfs volume.

I want a user "media" to have READ-ONLY access to a "media" dataset. No guest access.
I want a user "media_rw" to have READ AND WRITE access to the same dataset.

I created a "media_rw" user, default settings.
I created a "media" user and set the primary group to "wheel".

I created the "media" dataset, and set the permissions to "media_rw", "wheel" and Owner: R+W, Group: R, Other: None. Unix permission type. (Tried Windows permission type before but then the checkboxes were grayed out)

So now, in my mind, user "media_rw" is the owner and as such has read/write access to the "media" folder. User "media" is in the "wheel" group, and the "wheel" group has READ acces.

But...

On my Windows machine I can mount the "media" using root/mypassword and put files in it. No problem.

But when I try to mount it as "media" or "media_rw" .. it's a no go. Well, actually, I can mount it (using net use) but when I click on it in explorer I get the "X:\ is not accessible. Access denied" error popup.

What am I not understanding here? Please advice!

Whattteva

Wizard
You need execute permission to list files (see contents), not just read. This means folders (datasets) pretty much always needs execute unless you want to deny access.

Robert Smith

Patron
You may not simultaneously login to the same host [name] from a single Windows computer using multiple credentials.

Ether give your NAS multiple host names (in the DNS server, if you have one running; or in the hosts file) and login with different user names to different host names; or log out from Windows and re-log in before you use different credentials.

If you have saved credentials (net use and/or credentials manager), you will need to clear them out too, before you can access as a different user.

Also, in your case, I would export the share as read-only, and then add the following to the share extra options:

write list = media_rw

This will ensure that only the media_rw user is allowed write access through CIFS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.