New to NAS Need Help Setting UP 11.2 PLEASE !!! Fresh Install

sancucay

Cadet
Hell; I just Install 11.2 on my new NAS server and need help setting it up. I am planning to use as a cloud to store Files pictures and videos so I can access them over the internet on my laptop, Ipad or phone. at the same time I would love to used it as I media server in my home.

Please help I have found some videos online but some of them are confusing and no of them are meant for what Im looking for.

Thank you.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Start with Uncle Fester's guide (link is in my sig). It will cover the basic installation and configuration, as well as the media server. The cloud piece is definitely do-able, but it's going to require some understanding on your part of IP networking and port forwarding, probably a dynamic DNS service, and some attention to security.

sancucay

Cadet
Thank you for your reply. I am reading the guide right now but I was wondering if you could and wiling to help me set up everything I can compensate for you help. This is my email sancucay_8@yahoo.com Thank you in advance.

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, we don't do that here. We're glad to help, but you need to put in the work to learn how your system works and configure it the way you want it. Besides, if I (or someone else) set up your system, what happens in a year when something stops working and you have no idea how it's configured?

Heracles

Wizard
Hi Sancucay,

Here, I am doing exactly what you are looking for, so it is clearly doable, no doubt. To configure it is one thing, to keep it running smoothly is another. If someone else do it all for you, you will not understand your setup as well and so you risk ending up in trouble when something will require attention.

Part of the design you must not forget is backups. No matter how solid a single FreeNAS server can be, it is and remains a single server so a single point of failure. You must have a backup strategy. Here, I do ZFS replication to a second FreeNAS over VPN, hundreds of Km away from my main server. That way, no single physical incident like fire can take both servers down.

People are used to think that clouds are magically always On and 100% reliable. If you are about to rely on your private Cloud with such an expectation, you must master it from A to Z (and also get real about that because even Amazon and other Cloud providers lost data in the past...).

As a cloud solution, I use Nextcloud. I chose not to use the plugin from FreeNAS and I run it from a Docker host in my ESXi server next to FreeNAS. The storage is mounted over NFS from FreeNAS to the Docker host and that host re-map it inside the container.

To secure everything, I have a pfSense firewall running HAProxy and a Q-Radar Community Edition for security monitoring.

To design a strong, secure and reliable private cloud is doable, but requires you to master a lot of different concepts, technologies and processes.

Glorious1

Guru