New to NAS first attempt - will FreeNas run on a Synology ds220j?

TTLTTL

Cadet
I put the question in search and it said no results found. Main PC is an i7-4770 16GB ram and a 480GB SSD Will it be sufficient to run FreeNas or will I have to use the Synology software? I assume I have to install it on the PC first but then what comes next. IF it will run on their box how do I get the system on the correct HDD in the box. Plan on a 240GB SSD and an 8TB 7200RPM HDD. How would I tell FreeNas which disk to operate from? Plan on files on the 8TB and I read about putting certain stuff on a SSD for faster recall of certain things.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
FreeNAS is not an application. It's an entire operating system, so you won't be able to just install it on your desktop, unless you run bare-metal virtualiation like vmWare or ProxMox. Second, the DS220J has an ARM CPU, and FreeNAS only runs on x86 or x86_64 CPUs, so you won't be able to install FreeNAS on the Synology either.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
FreeNAS does not go on your PC but on your NAS hardware. And the minimum specs apply to said NAS hardware. The Synology you mention has got only 512 M of memory, while the minimum for FreeNAS is 8 G.

The general approach is not to buy a ready-made NAS solution like Synology or Qnap but an enclosure, mainboard, memory and disks and then use the FreeNAS system instead of a proprietary firmware. You need a regular PC platform for that that lets you install your own OS.

Last edited:

TTLTTL

Cadet
Thanks for the reply's. I am just an average home user not a tech wizard so the Synology software is going to have to be used as I can't afford to build a whole system to do what I'm getting for the cost of this box. A friend has one and has no problem streaming 4k to his TV which is what I want to do.:smile:

Fredda

Guru
A friend has one and has no problem streaming 4k to his TV which is what I want to do.
As long as you do simple streaming without transcoding this should also work with your Synology.