New Setup requesting storage info for UFS and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuntar

Cadet
First things first, I humbly apologise if these are redundant questions.

The info download
I have a core I3 with 4Gb of standard ram a 2TB WD red/nas drive (all from WHS 2011 rig) and a 8Gb usb drive.
I intent to only store redundant duplicated information on my NAS. I will not be using multiple drives or raid of any kind if i can help it. I have already setup the system with old drives just to check it out, now i want to set it up perminatly.

Why should i use ZFS instead of UFS?
Is there a simple backup utility to back up my home pc's (two laptops and a HTPC)?

Zuntar

Cadet
Please also let me say that I fully understand the recommendations for server grade hardware. I do not have the $ for it and wont be able to any time soon so I am stuck with what i have. So please help me?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For starters, using ZFS with <8GB of RAM is a bad idea. It is also a bad idea to not use ECC RAM with ZFS. And since you've already said you don't have the money, that's basically a non-starter without significant risk.

As for backup utilities for your phones, you'll have to see if you can find one that uses one of the various methods FreeNAS uses to share data over the internet. In my case, I use a paid app called "FolderSync" and sync my phone nightly over CIFS shares.

Zuntar

Cadet
Cyberjock, thank you for your response!

Two things to comment on: I have PCs i wish to back up not phones, so I am looking to see if there is a simple backup utility as part of Freenas or a plugin that would do the trick. Any recomendations would be great.

I may not have been clear as to my questions regaurding ZFS/UFS. I find a complete lack of information or sugestions for when to use UFS. It appears that UFS is horrible and should never be used. I can't search this forum using just UFS as the search string is to small; everything else appears to say use ZFS. I will have 1 to 2 users at a time and very little need for raid, so please help me understand.
Can I use ZFS for individual drives, or do i need to use UFS?
What is wrong with UFS?
Does your/the answer change if i want to add a different/additional drive in the future?

Yatti420

Wizard

Zuntar

Cadet
Thank you Yatti420 but same issue, virtually nothing on ufs. I respect what you are saying. i most likely will get the good stuff in time but not now.
I spent $$ before and got burnt. now i want to test and trust my data is safe with complete redundancy and possibly cloud storage.

I get what i have wont work well w/ZFS. What is wrong with UFS???

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Backups on your desktops are usually pretty simple. Use any backup utility like Acronis True-Image, CloneZilla, or O&O Diskimage to backup to the server. Note I'm not endorsing any of them, but those are the most common ones.

I will say this... I'd highly recommend you use a trial version to ensure it works properly before spending the money as they don't always work as they claim.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Rsync works pretty well with desktop backups

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yatti420

Wizard
BTSync for cloud storage if your feeling experimental..

Status
Not open for further replies.