New SAS controller firmware (9.10.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccann73

Dabbler
I noticted after the upgrade to 9.10.1 that it has prompted me to update firmware for my SAS 9201-16i controller, i didn't notice anything on the deployment notes about driver updates, anyone else got this?

Capture.JPG

Cheers
Andrew

mccann73

Dabbler

avalon60

Guru

mccann73

Dabbler
From the bug report they actually contacted Avago and received a response confirming there is no issue, I can confirm from my machione that both my LSI SAS controllers are working fine. with driver version 21...

Broadcom/Avago/LSI has informed us the combination of p20 firmware and version 21 driver is acceptable. I'll add this case to the alert.

avalon60

Guru
From the bug report they actually contacted Avago and received a response confirming there is no issue, I can confirm from my machione that both my LSI SAS controllers are working fine. with driver version 21...

Ok great, but whre did you get driver version 21, or should that be firmware version 21?

Do you have a URL for it please?

avalon60

Guru
Driver version 21 is apparently included in the 9.10.1 update. Firmware version 21 doesn't exist.

When applied the 9.10.1 update , the system gave me a warning about the firmware version 20 does not match driver version 21.
So yes, driver version 21 is included in the update, but there is no firmware version 21 yet.

I wonder why driver version 20 was not kept in the update until firmware version 21 is out for general release.
It seems a bit like putting the horse before the cart.

danb35

Hall of Famer
until firmware version 21 is out for general release.
Because, apparently, there is no firmware version 21. Period. The driver was updated, and the version number changed, without consideration for the prior requirement that the firmware and driver match versions.

avalon60

Guru
Fair enough.

So Josh Paetzel says For the moment you can dismiss the alert.

Anyone know if the said card will still work correctly by just ignoring the alert??

mccann73 says: I can confirm from my machine that both my LSI SAS controllers are working fine. with driver version 21...

so he must be wrong??

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Anyone know if the said card will still work correctly by just ignoring the alert??
Yes, otherwise it would not be advised.

mccann73 says: I can confirm from my machine that both my LSI SAS controllers are working fine. with driver version 21...

so he must be wrong??
No, driver version 21 is out. You have it too. Just that there is no firmware version 21, just firmware version 20.

avalon60

Guru
Ok thanks for the clarifications. I'll just stick with FreeNAS 9.10 for the time being then.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'll just stick with FreeNAS 9.10 for the time being then.
Why? You've been told repeatedly that there's no problem using 9.10.1, and its included driver version 21, with version 20 firmware.

avalon60

Guru
Why? You've been told repeatedly that there's no problem using 9.10.1, and its included driver version 21, with version 20 firmware.

Yes I know but I am getting a warning that firmware version 20 does not match driver version 21. I also wanted to know if the LSI card would still work as it should.

No one has yet told me that the card will work ok with firmware version 20.

danb35

Hall of Famer

avalon60

Guru
Yes, both @wblock and @jpaetzel have told you this. And I'm pretty sure @cyberjock has too.

It has been stated by @wblock that it is ok to use the driver version 21 with the firmware version 20. Maybe others have also said the same, but I don't see that as been repeatedly told.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Josh Paetzel says For the moment you can dismiss the alert.
What do you think he means by that, if not that it's OK to use driver version 21 with firmware version 20? And then there's this (admittedly, from a different thread):
The driver writer for Broadcom/Avago/LSI (Yes, Broadcom now owns Avago) has said that the P21 driver *is* compatible with P20 firmware (especially since P20 is the latest firmware out).
Hey, it's your system; do what you want with it. But it's kind of odd to see a conversation go like this:
Josh: It's OK to do it.
You: OK, I won't do it.
@wblock: Really, it's OK to do it.
You: Fine, then I won't do it.
Cyberjock: We've confirmed that it's safe to do it.
You: That's why I won't do it.

avalon60

Guru
Aye ok then.

silvesj

Explorer
Had this alert this AM as well. Thanks to everyone for proving some clarity on the issue. Dismissed ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.