NEW - Hyper-V Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS should not be run as a virtual machine except for initial testing and experimenting.

mikei

Dabbler
Why? If MS$ now certifies FreeBSD why should it not be available for those of us that WANT to run it on hyper-v? Virtulization is here to stay.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I didn't say FreeBSD should not be run as a virtual machine. I said FreeNAS should not be run as a virtual machine. Because of the purpose of FreeNAS and the direct hardware access required running it as a virtual machine is not recommended.

Some people use it as ESXi. The manual has a section devoted to setting up FreeNAS in an ESXi, but there are potential complications if you don't know exactly what you are doing. As a general rule, if you are asking how to setup FreeNAS in an ESXi or virtual environment that isn't for testing, you probably shouldn't be using it in said environment.

mikei

Dabbler
Ok then hypothetically if one was to install freenas on hyper-v for *TESTING* and wanted to merge the new code, is it possible?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't see why not. I'd expect that it would probably run right out of the box with no optimizations. I doubt any optimizations will ever be supported because it's not expected people will run it as a virtualization permanently.

Daisuke

Contributor
Not related to subject, but this forum should contain threads started ONLY by staff and be on topic with announcements about FreeNAS products and services. I have a subscription to this forum to get notified when there is something new posted and I got excited for nothing, as the title is misleading.

Note to moderators: Please restrict the posting of new threads into this forum to Staff members only, is the common usage in every single forum I've interacted with. Next, you will see people "announcing" they are dancing macarena with a girl called FreeNASA. :rolleyes:

mikei

Dabbler
Not related to subject, but this forum should contain threads started ONLY by staff and be on topic with announcements about FreeNAS products and services. I have a subscription to this forum to get notified when there is something new posted and I got excited for nothing, as the title is misleading.

Note to moderators: Please restrict the posting of new threads into this forum to Staff members only, is the common usage in every single forum I've interacted with. Next, you will see people "announcing" they are dancing macarena with a girl called FreeNASA. :rolleyes:

Agree.. I found it odd that there wasn't an "on-topic" forum so I posted here. Where's the community forums?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Next, you will see people "announcing" they are dancing macarena with a girl called FreeNASA. :rolleyes:

Um.. I DID dance the Macarena with a girl named FreeNASA! Don't question it ;)

Daisuke

Contributor
Agree.. I found it odd that there wasn't an "on-topic" forum so I posted here. Where's the community forums?
Well, for starters... your thread should of been posted into >>Feature Requests<< forum. :)
But I agree, a forum called "Site Feedback" is needed also, where people can report issues with the current site, etc. For example, I would report there that the >>current links<< posted inside each post are technically invisible. As you can see, there is nearly no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.