BUILD New builds for home usage – review and recommandations

Status
Not open for further replies.

efournier

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I read the forum for some time now and the time has come to build my FreeNAS box. This will be a system mainly for home file server use as well as running Plex media server without transcoding. Two identical systems will be built and the plan is to use snapshot replication to backup (most)important data to the distant box.

Here’s the planned builds
One question still persists. If we opt for a processor with AES hardware support, does the replicated snapshots will be readable on the remote box? According to the documentation, FreeNAS encryption protect against physical theft of disks, but not against unauthorized software access. To my understanding, if the encryption work at the disk level, it mean that the replicated snapshots will be stored on an encrypted pool on the PULL machine. Is it as easy as sharing the pool/dataset locally to be able to read the data?

I also read a lot about RaidZ1 and the reasons not to use it. I'm not 100% sure about my disk configuration. I which I could stay under the 1k$ line so I might go with 4 disks of lower capacity.I'll be willing to use RaidZ1 only if I have a solid off site backup strategy.

Thanks in advance.

efournier

Cadet
Not the most popular thread I must say. Not the most interesting configuration either I agree. While issues concerning replication are probably not in the appropriate section, I'm still very interested to hear from the experts for the config.

Thank you to Ericloewe, I've realized that the case is for mini atx boards so I'll probably bet on the 804. I bought the motherboard and the PSU yesterday. As I inherited several (12) 500gb 7200rpm drives, I opted for the Seasonic G-450 for its 6 sata connectors.

The drives are from different brands and already have a few years. I might consider 6 x 500GB and replace drives with larger as they die. If anyone sees a better opportunity for my situation, I'm interested.

Thanks again.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you're going to reuse old drives, just be sure to thoroughly test them (jgreco just published a script to help test your drives, so give it a try). If they check out, use them normally (ideally in RAIDZ2, but this applies universally).

Status
Not open for further replies.