BUILD New Build - and your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danzi

Cadet
Dear FreeNAS users,

I am about to build my FreeNAS box. I have read through all requirements and suggestions. No AMD, No Kingson, No 16 Gb modules, use ECC Unbuffered.

I hope I've done my homework, and so I chose:

MOBO: Supermicro X10SLL-F
CPU1: Core i3-4370 3.8 GHz 1150 BOX (with its own box cooler)
CPU2: Pentium G3220 3.00GHz 1150 BOX (with its own box cooler)
USB: 2x KINGSTON DataTraveler 100 G3 16Gb
Chassis: Fractal Design Node 804
PSU: Thermaltake London 550W Gold
RAM: 2x8GB Unbuffered ECC - RAM is tricky - read below
DISKS:
2x3Tb WD RED - in Raid1 for now. Have 3x1.5 Tb drives, would use these as sync or backup, and would also buy-in into some on-line backup for sensitive data.

Primarily - would like to use Plex, Ftp, Web, Download, Music and backup of family videos, digital works etc.

Asked the shop I am about to order all the parts from about Samsung/Hynix modules, but they don't have any of those brands, so they pointed me to Kingston's website:
http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?DeviceType=7&Mfr=SMI&Line=X10SLL-F&Model=84341

Based on the above they recommend the below from their own shop's site:
http://ipon.hu/webshop/product/kingston_4gb_ddr3_1600mhz_cl11_ecc_kvr16e11s8_4kf/712552

But I am quite reluctant to go for it.

Currently looking at Crucial's webstore. Integral is another brand that is available in Hungary, but then the chips on those might be questionable, also - I'd rather go for something 'tested' by forum people here.

I wish to upgrade in a few years to a Xeon and add more RAM.

Any comments and suggestions - especially RAM-wise warmly welcome.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should be reluctant. Kingston is to be avoided. Crucial should work so long as you use Crucial's memory configurator to determine what DIMMs are compatible. What I'd tell them is that Kingston isn't acceptable and you'll go elsewhere for your RAM purchase. :P

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Crucial has worked with Supermicro X10s for basically everyone here (I think one guy got a bad DIMM, but it got solved). For specific models (X10SLL+-F, X10SLM+-F, X10SLH-F and X10SL7-F), Supermicro has also verified Crucial memory - albeit under the Micron brand.

I ordered the RAM for my server directly from Crucial's web store. It was painless. I also recently ordered some DDR4 ECC, which is currently under the tree (but delivery was fast, cheap and painless) and am happy with their web store.

My preference would be something like:
  1. Samsung/Hynix/Micron (where applicable)
  2. Crucial (Micron, but with a layer of obfuscation over the model number)
  3. Kingston
  4. Other, more dubious brands.

DKarnov

Dabbler
Crucial is Micron's retail brand for DRAM and SSDs. Coincidentally, Lexar is their retail brand for memory sticks, flash cards and the like. In rare, rare cases you'll find Crucial RAM with non-Micron chips, but this is only in odd cases on the very low end that are totally inapplicable to FreeNAS. You can of course find Micron DRAM (and Micron / IMFT Flash) in other brands' products, but it can be a bit trickier to identify.

Status
Not open for further replies.