network and plex help

stapecj

Cadet
Hey guys, I'm really new to FreeNAS. I've had a few classes in Linux (mostly tch and bash) and loved Linux so I decided to go with FreeNAS to set up a home server for my movie collection using Plex instead of using a Windows Server. I see that a lot of people like to point to places to self-educate for answers to questions (I do like this) and have googled as much as I can, but am still ignorant and now am posting.

System:
AMD Athlon II x4 630 (yes, I've read that Intel is better, but this is what I have right now)
8 gig memory
2 8TB HD Seagate IronWolf NAS 7200 RPM (independent, and yes I understand it's not optimal for backup reasons, but I have a secondary backup of my movies)
I also have a radon graphics card though I'm not sure if it is using it (help here would be cool too)
I'm running version 11.2 u7 (from reading this is the most stable version available)

So when I am connected to my network (via wifi), movies load through plex quickly and stream well. When I try to access them through the app via my Samsung A20 (remotely) the movie gives me the "one ring to rule them all" for over 10 min and will not start playing the movie.
I've assigned a static address for the web UI to 192.168.0.42 and the Plex Jail is running from 192.168.0.43. When viewing the Dashboard under "Primary NIC" is displays 192.168.0.43 as the primary and I'm getting 0.0017 MBps download and 0.0088 MBps upload (I'm assuming the upload and download are correct, I listed them from top to bottom via the display) while trying to stream a movie from Plex remotely. Via this information it almost appears as if the movie isn't being uploaded at all. When connected to my home network and streaming a movie I'm getting .7333 MBps upload. I am the only user with access to my Plex account currently and I am logged in as the primary user (not as a guest).

When I go to network interfaces under Network in the FreeNAS UI there is nothing listed.

After reading on Plex for a bit, I optimized a single movie for testing purposes (original format is 480p, 5.8 Mbps MP4, costumed for Android 480p, 1.2Mpbs MP4) and it still stalls.

My Plex Media Server Log says the my speed => ranges from 15 to 18. I find this really odd as my FreeNAS network is steady at .0.0088 upload (I'm assuming that is my UI interface data being sent)

As for the graphics card, I understand that if the system uses the GPU things happen faster. I am unsure how to ensure that the server is taking advantage of the resource.

The goal is to be able to stream the movies to my phone as I travel a lot.

Hope I included enough information to work from, and thank you for the help in advance.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
For remote playing in Plex, you need to:
  1. Enable remote access in Plex
  2. Create a port forward on your firewall to pass port 32400 to your Plex jail.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Your hardware is woefully inadequate for what you are trying to do. Save yourself the frustration and get some better hardware.