network access under BYHVE guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsy7867

Contributor
I have successfully setup an ubuntu 14.04 server guest. I finally stumbled through the setup process and I can successfully drop into the console and log into it.

The issue I am having now is getting the network to work. Currently when I log in, the only interface I see in the guest is a loopback (lo) adapter.

Looking at:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_jails.html#using-iohyve
I followed parts of this to begin with. But I think this may be where I am experience trouble...
Code:
iohyve setup pool=volume1 kmod=1 net=em0

I ran this and I do not have an em0. But when I try to run iohyve setup net=tap0 (Or anything else) I simply get back:
Code:
iohyve setup net=tap0
bridge0 is already enabled on this machine...

What I thought needed to happen was to create a new interface, bridge it with bridge0 and set my ubuntuserver to use the tap0:
Code:
ifconfig tap0 create descr "iohyve-tap0"
ifconfig bridge0 addm tap0
iohyve set ubuntuserver tap=tap0

I'm pretty sure i am doing something stupid with something that I don't quite understand. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for my stupidity!

m0nkey_

MVP
em0 assumes you have an Intel FastEthernet NIC. You need to know the name of your primary NIC, running ifconfig should give you this. You then substitute em0 for your NIC.

icsy7867

Contributor
I actually caught on to that earlier. I have a realtek nic so I have re0... but when I try to run
Code:
iohyve setup net=re0

I get the same message about bridge0

*EDIT*
Also I wanted to thank you for your quick response!

Last edited:

icsy7867

Contributor
Updated my freenas build last night, which seemed to include an update for iohyve.

I thought I would try things again. Now when I try to install any OS other than freebsd it seems to hang on the installation step.
Running through freenas's documents for setting up a freebsd bhyve guest:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_jails.html#using-iohyve

This works fine, DHCP's fine, grabs a bridged IP address with 0 issues.

But with anything else it seems (I have tried ubuntu and centos), after trying to install:
iohyve install centosguest CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1511.iso (for example)

I just get:
Installing centosguest...

And it has been like this for hours. Same thing happens with ubuntu. This is what I ran...

Code:
iohyve set centosguest loader=grub-bhyve
iohyve set centosguest os=centos7
iohyve install centosguest CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1511.iso

icsy7867

Contributor
I did some more fiddling around, and I actually found out that it looks like the installer is "Working". But my display is completely messed up. I have tried with the web based shell terminal and even Putty.

Basically I can drop into the console (Which by the way... how do you get out of it? The manual/instructions says "~~." but I am not sure what this means? Any combinations of ~ and . I try to press on my keyboard does nothing...) and if I hit "Enter" I see "OK", and everytime I hit enter it goes to a new line and hits "OK".

Now after waiting a few seconds and hitting enter a few times I got some screens!

1_zps33gnwuzs.png
2_zpsnwtxf899.png
3_zpsda0qvgaz.png

The problem is I have no cursor! Or if there is a cursor selection once I hit an arrow key, things get really.. really screwy. I have no idea I was choosing the options I chose to get the screens above. Perhaps this is simply a display issue I could change in putty?

*EDIT*

I THINK
I have resolved this! By opening Putty and going into "Translations" and changing it to "Win1252 (Western)" everything is showing and working correctly! DHCP even appears to be working!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.