Nested OS or directly running

mark1301

Cadet
Hello all.

I'm curious what the general consensuses is for either production, or development environment.
The question is how most people are running their truenas solutions - on bare metal, or virtually thru some type of other platform - like Proxmox, Ubuntu (with KVM) etc.

I'm running as a vm for testing purposes (Ubuntu desktop with KVM) and would, provided my hardware is supported (previous posted but no answers back yet) - to run it bare-metal to try and determine the best results.

My testing practices I hope to include will be the following:
- build new images
- import images from existing platforms to the dev platform
- backups/snapshots and replication both for VM's and a DR site to validate 'all'
- access external iscsi environment with existing data
- mounted iscsi for file sharing

Just to name a few...
mark

Davvo

MVP
Old but Gold:

Last edited:

homer27081990

Patron
Definitely bare metal for production. Even for a home server. It is not a TrueNAS thing, its the type I hypervisors and their quirks with HBAs and passthrough and the such. Take in to account that most of the other things you need that are not (probably) hardware-sensitive can be run either as jails or vms in TrueNAS itself.

Scharbag

Guru
I have been running TrueNAS on top of ESXi since 2015 for my main production home server. I would not do this at work, but our budgets at work are orders of magnitude more than I can afford at home.

I have a single host, so I make it do everything. It has been stable and reliable. TrueNAS on ESXi is certainly doable if you use quality hardware and configure it properly.

1660363444096.png

1660363502797.png

1660363529344.png

Cheers,

Alex_K

Explorer
Over the years I see a change from "not possible"->"don't do this"->"you can at your own risk"->"more and more people are doing this so lets make a subforum"

The fact is, you can nearly half the expenses with one host doing it all, so its tempting. Not general use yet though.