Need info about hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsryan

Dabbler
Hello yes this is my first post of most likely many. To start off I need help with my hard drives and how to get them all connected.
Currently I have the SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard and NORCO RPC-2008 2U Rackmount Server Case
I'm going to be using the server for media storage / plex server
The Norco has 8 hot swap bays and 2 trays for SSD's, but the motherboard only has 6 SATA ports. I'm looking for a way to use all hot swap and the SSD trays. I have been looking at a few things that would expand the amount of SATA ports I have(IOCrest SI-PEX40064 PCI-Express 2.0) but i keep reading around that this would be hardware raid, and I have read I should avoid hardware raid at all costs.
What device can I get to expand the amount of SATA ports I have so I can connect all my drives and use them as software raid.

Also other questions that's kinda out there, my motherboard has a PCI-e slot that's x8 but in the size of a x16. would i be able to put a low profile gfx card in there. I might use the server for rendering later.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hello yes this is my first post of most likely many. To start off I need help with my hard drives and how to get them all connected.
Currently I have the SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard and NORCO RPC-2008 2U Rackmount Server Case
I'm going to be using the server for media storage / plex server
The Norco has 8 hot swap bays and 2 trays for SSD's, but the motherboard only has 6 SATA ports. I'm looking for a way to use all hot swap and the SSD trays. I have been looking at a few things that would expand the amount of SATA ports I have(IOCrest SI-PEX40064 PCI-Express 2.0) but i keep reading around that this would be hardware raid, and I have read I should avoid hardware raid at all costs.
What device can I get to expand the amount of SATA ports I have so I can connect all my drives and use them as software raid.

Also other questions that's kinda out there, my motherboard has a PCI-e slot that's x8 but in the size of a x16. would i be able to put a low profile gfx card in there. I might use the server for rendering later.
Welcome to the forums!

What you need is a Host Bus Adapter (HBA). The most popular HBA here on the forum is probably the LSI 9211-8i (which is also available in OEM models such as the IBM M1015 and the Dell H200 & H310). There are a zillion threads on the forum about using these HBAs. Basically, you plug the HBA into a PCI-e port and get 4 or 8 more SAS/SATA ports (depending on the model, some only have 4 ports).

A good place for you to get started would be this hardware guide by our own @Ericloewe. It explains HBAs and how to use them, among a great many other things.

Good luck!

itsryan

Dabbler
Welcome to the forums!

What you need is a Host Bus Adapter (HBA). The most popular HBA here on the forum is probably the LSI 9211-8i (which is also available in OEM models such as the IBM M1015 and the Dell H200 & H310). There are a zillion threads on the forum about using these HBAs. Basically, you plug the HBA into a PCI-e port and get 4 or 8 more SAS/SATA ports (depending on the model, some only have 4 ports).

A good place for you to get started would be this hardware guide by our own @Ericloewe. It explains HBAs and how to use them, among a great many other things.

Good luck!
I have been looking into Host Bus Adapters. The only thing that was turning me away was that I didn't know if a SFF-8087 port to SATA cables is a common thing or just something random I thought of. I have seen the cables that would be used for that, I just could not find any posts or websites that talked about it.

I have spent about a hour looking at that hardware guide, and comparing parts with what i learned there. Its very well written.

Also my other random question in my post was. My motherboard has a PCI-e slot that's x8 but in the size of a x16. would i be able to put a low profile gfx card in there. I might use the server for rendering later.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Yes, SFF8087 to SATA cables is a real thing. Get them on Newegg, Amazon, or any of a thousand other sites that sell PC components.

As for your question about the graphics card, you can't use FreeNAS to render anything.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It's also called a forward breakout cable don't buy the reverse breakout cable which looks the same but is different.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

GBillR

Contributor
I have been looking into Host Bus Adapters. The only thing that was turning me away was that I didn't know if a SFF-8087 port to SATA cables is a common thing or just something random I thought of. I have seen the cables that would be used for that, I just could not find any posts or websites that talked about it.

I have spent about a hour looking at that hardware guide, and comparing parts with what i learned there. Its very well written.
Not sure if you came across this sticky post or not, but it answered all my questions on SAS to SATA: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...-sas-sy-a-primer-on-basic-sas-and-sata.26145/

Status
Not open for further replies.