Need help to pick which file system to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

qinking126

Cadet
I am a n00b. plan to build my first NAS. still confused which file system I should use. I did alot research and read alot posts. here's what I got , please correct me if I am wrong.

question 1: Seems like zfs is the best file system. but is it really the best choice for noob? I know I need to buy ECC ram to prevent zpool corruption. It only prevents, but cannot stop zpool corruption. once zpool corrupted, you lost all your data. all your data means everything on your harddrives or everything on one of your harddrive.

question2: do you only need ECC ram? what about monterhboard and cpu, do they need to support ecc as well?

Yatti420

Wizard
Hello..

#1 Yes you should be using ECC ram for using ZFS.. It's in all the literature.. You do risk your whole pool if you have corruption without ECC..

#2 yes.. Motherboard.. CPU and RAM should be ECC..

See ya,

qinking126

Cadet
if I am using UFS and NTFS, I dont need to worry about bit flip or zpool corruption. to me its safer, why most ppl on this forum are using zfs?

warri

Guru
Because ZFS has certain advantages over other file systems. They have been discussed in the forums already, a good thread to start reading is this one (you probably already have seen and read it) and this one.
I think you are wrong with your statement, because with UFS or NTFS you still have to worry about bit flip and data corruption. The difference to ZFS is that you have no way of finding out that a file has been corrupted.

The final choice very much depends on your personal taste and use case. If you do not need the features offered by ZFS - e.g. its software raid capability, data integrity checks and repairs, snapshots, quotas, and all the other stuff - it's perfectly fine to chose UFS or NTFS. As you have already noted there come higher hardware requirements with using ZFS, and with failing to respect those requirements ZFS may fail you.

Status
Not open for further replies.