Need hardware help after lightning killed my TS-1279U-RP.

B0mbadi1

Cadet
I was gifted a QNAP TS-1279U-RP a few years ago, and (after many hours of troubleshooting) I believe it is now dead. I'm putting together a TrueNAS system, and even after spending many hours on the forum, I feel like I could use some help building my new system.

Things I've learned reading the forum:

1) Do not use gaming hardware. Use server hardware.
2) Do not get super new hardware. It may not be supported in Core or Scale.
3) From what I can see, use ECC if you value your data.

What I wish I had found on the forum but admittedly might just be missing:

1) A general idea of the newest but well supported Chipset/CPU combo. I did read a lot of threads, but nothing that really said, "This is as new as you can go, and go no further."

So what I've come up with is this (hopefully I'm not too far off base from something that will be stable and good):

If I went AMD, I'd go with the AsRock Rack X470D4U. It looks like it now goes up to the 5000 series of processors, so I was thinking something like a Ryzen 5 5600X. I'm a little uncertain if this would let me still go with ECC memory.

If I went Intel, I'd go with the WS C246 PRO. I've seen this board new in box on eBay for $300. This is where I'm a little uncertain about the processor. Does it have to be a Xeon processor to use ECC memory? I've seen a strange Xeon on Intel that I can't find anything about on their website. The listing is for an Intel Xeon E-2278G ES QQM6. Does anyone have any experience with this processor?

Is there a CPU/Mobo combo someone might recommend that is different from above that is a) More modern but well supported by Scale/Core and b) is a combo in the 5-600ish range?

Any help would be super appreciated.

B0mbadi1

Cadet
I've now figured out the Intel processor I listed is an engineering sample. I'm still wondering if any of you have used it or have comments about it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've now figured out the Intel processor I listed is an engineering sample. I'm still wondering if any of you have used it or have comments about it.
I personally would not use an Engineering Sample for any project I was working on if I valued my data or system reliability. While the product may be stable, the question is, are you sure it will be stable.

If you do purchase this product, make sure you do a proper burn-in test on the CPU and RAM. But I doubt you will find many people here using Engineering Samples.

If you desire to know what a specific model Intel CPU supports, refer to the Intel website pages. Here is one for the CPU you listed, for a commercially released version... https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...cessor-16m-cache-3-40-ghz/specifications.html

As for advice on what hardware to use... Here is a guide, not all inclusive but a good guide.